Sea World Orlando divers resign

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeV said: When I first began diving a few years ago, I read all I could about various diving accidents. Since being certified, and then working on various additional certifications, I became more lax in following all my procedures for safety. Not sure why I picked up on this thread, but it certainly reminded me to go back to the basics and follow all the safety procedures I have been taught for good reason. to get into serious trouble at 6-8 feet of water is a reminder to never get too complacent. We will never know what happened, but can only look to ourselves and try not to replicate the mistakes others have made.

JoeV, you hit the nail on the head. Your post is EXACTLY why its important to have this forum and to analyze each accident and near-miss -- even if we don't have all the facts all the time. This forum helps me to be a better buddy, a safer diver because I try learn from other's misfortune so I don't wind up creating my own.

Almost every accident in accident reports I've read could have been prevented if the divers just stuck to the basics we all learned in OW school.

Diving is NOT a safe sport. It is an extreme sport. We learn safe procedures and practice those procedures so as to minimize SCUBA's inherent risk.

Lesson reinforced from this incident: Check your buddy's gear and check your own gear before getting in the water -- every time.

Back
Top Bottom