Sealife Micro HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a cool video. I use a GoPro and having sat through a SeaLife presentation from the local rep at our dive shop I would buy one and use it. The editing program I have allows me to capture stills from video so I always have that option as well. I like the light tray setup, in the presentation it seemed like a good sturdy base for the lighting and camera.

What editing program do you use?

I purchased a SeaLife micro HD+ sea dragon strobe from a dive shop at a scuba show in Ohio. I thought it had a macro setting or I would not have purchased it. If you know of anyone interested I am selling it for $100 off list price because I opened the box but have never used it. Please pass this info on because I would like to buy a camera with a macro setting before my next dive trip, April 25th. I'll ship for free, PayPal only. $799. thanks!

So Mchiapetto, what did you end up buying? Did you get the Sealife Micro HD and if so please post a review. Thanks.

I have been meaning to come back here to post some more info but life gets busy and ....

Anyway, I did buy a Sealife Micro HD and I am thrilled with it. The pictures and videos I took came out great. It is a very simple to use camera and the videos were especially nice. Other people we dove with were amazed by the camera and how good the shots were. They thought it was because I had a lot of training but it was really just a great camera.

If you are interested in seeing video I shot with it you can go to www.youtube.com and type in Chiapetto Cozumel in the search bar. I did some very simple editing around subject matter and posted several 3-5 minute videos from our trip to Cozumel in Jan 2015. I used the Micro HD on a Sealife Aquapod with a Sealife Mini light mounted below the camera. With the Aquapod, I was able to extend the camera out and get quite close to the subjects.

One problem I had with the camera was on my second to last dive for the trip. The camera flooded even though it is advertised as completely sealed and flood proof. When I got back to land I let it sit for a day to dry out and then I was able to access all the videos and pictures OK. I sent the camera back to Sealife and they immediately replaced it with a new one. Sealife said it was a minor defect in the mounting screw area on the bottom. Sealife customer service was great.

I will be taking the camera on a liveaboard trip to the Bahamas this coming week. While the Aquapod/Micro HD/Mini light were nice and compact, there were times I wished the light was above the camera rather than below and times I wished I had more light. So I purchased a Sealife 2500 light that comes with a camera tray. I am going to use it on my trip to the Bahamas for the first time. I still plan to mount the camera tray and light to the Aquapod. I like the ability to extend the camera out really close to things but I was concerned this would be too much weight to extend out and keep steady. The new rig (light, tray and camera) have a negative buoyancy in the water of about 1.5 pounds. I have added two Stix floats to the rig that will make everything slightly buoyant but near neutral. I am hoping this way I will be able to extend the camera on the Aquapod and still keep everything steady.

if you have any questions about the Micro HD or anything else I am using, let me know. I am really happy with how it is all working. And I am looking forward to using it again next week.

Mike

Thanks for the follow-up. I ended purchasing the Sealife Micro HD with the Seadragon 1200 light. I have been very impressed with the quality of the photos and videos. I especially like the compact design and it fits easily attached to a d rings on the shoulders and stays on my chest out of the way when not in use and very easy to use and handle due to its compact size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom