SeaQuest BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to evaluate what you are using your gear for, and are those uses going to change over time.
The pro QD is not too bad as far as stability jacket type BCD's go. It has weight integration that takes some weight of your hips, and also places weight closer to your centre of gravity and higher up your body so it is possible to acheive the prone position just about naturally whilst underwater. The prone position is the "ideal" position to be in as you are more streamlined, your finning has no effect on your buoyancy and manouvering is easier.
How many divers have you seen swimming along on a 45 degree angle, finning like crazy and going just about nowhere? Their buoyancy is affected by their finning so they tend to be slightly negative, which increases the effort they have to put into their finning, which in turn increases air consumtion, stirs up the nitrogen in the body, stirs up silt and sand from the bottom and basically makes you have a less than optimal dive... and you feel shattered afterwards.
The Pro QD however has pockets that you cannot get into when weight integration is in and /or the jacket is inflated (like on the surface and trying to get your safety sausage out so the boat can find you) and also squeezes you around the middle as you inflate it more.
These problems can be overcome by using the Black Diamond, which is a rear inflation BCD. This BCD will put you in the prone postion naturally, wont squeeze you around the middle and you can access the pockets. However on the down side they are quite big and bulky and have 50 million D-Rings all over it so you look like you just walked out of a piercing studio.
IMHO your best bet is to go for a Backplate and wing type BCD. They are a simple one piece harness with a stainless steel or ali backplate & wing that doesnt restrict or clutter you, they have rear inflation which again is great for the prone position, you can add weight pockets and general pockets onto the waist strap, the backplate lets you take 6lbs of your weight belt and distributes this over more of your body (again great for the prone postion) and best of all, they are infinitly adjustable. You can move D-Rings to suit and you can add different wings for different jobs. You will never out grow it.
No-one can fault Apeks for regs. The TX50 is a great reg and virtually bullet proof. I use the DS$ with an Oceanic second(smaller reg-great) and have done for years.
I too would recomend losing the console. They are bulky, induce drag and hammer the reef as most people let them dangle somewhat. Also the wrist mount computer is easier to read as you simply turn your wrist and the depth is their. Suunto Vypers are a great computer.
Forget about the Air2 mate. They are a ***** to service, they get smashed about (great considering it is a life saving piece of equipment) and smash about reefs and also you have to take it out of your mouth whilst ascending to dump air. Why task load yourself more when you are laready task loaded? They make no sense and really are just the case of dive manufactureres trying to reinvent the wheel. Ask experienced divers if they ever use them?
What you are doing is right - ask questions before you buy. It might save you a few dollars down the track. I know i got burnt in the early days
Regards
Azza

Thanks for the reply Azza. I'm taking a road trip today to hit at least three shops between here and Toronto to compare some prices and see who carrys what. I'm definately going with the SeaQuest Pro QD+. I know I'm getting a quality product because no one really said otherwise and when this many people chime in, it's a miricle! I'll look at that Black Diamond too because I understand the concern about the pockets. Apeks is the reg that I want and at least one of the LDS has quite a few in stock. I'm also going with the wrist dive computer. Larry at Scubatoys.com has them for a great price, so I'll be calling later!

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on this, it sure makes it easier to be able to bounce this kind of stuff off so many different people!

KaBoOM

scubapro50:
Snip... I was told (and it's true) that SeaQuest BC's run a little small so it's important to know what size fits you. ...snip

I can actually vouch for the size comment...I was at a local shop and saw an XXL Seaquest..so being a big dude... I tried it to see if it was any different than the XL's I've used...across the front, it seemed to be the same size as most XL's I've used...but it did seem a bit LONGER on my torso.

SO if you're going online, be careful size wise!

How tall are you & how much do you weigh? I have the SQ Pro Unlimited & love it, my uncle & dive buddies use the Pro QD. My brother has the SQ Black Diamond, & also loves it. I haven't had much trouble getting into the pockets, it does take some getting used to. I keep a dive lite, 50 lbs lift bag in my pockets. I used the lift bag as a surface signal while I was drift diving.

SQ has a new BCD called the Pro XLT that is based on the Pro QD but has an adjustable waist band, more lift, & the pockets are designed different. Might be worth checking out. I took a look at it @ my LDS along w/ the Black Diamond. The new XLT has the same pocket layout as the Black Diamond. Both look like great BCD. The Pro will keep you more vertical @ the surface, but if that doesn't bother you.

I use the Air 2, w/ a longer primary hose. I like it because it's one less hose, & it can be removed & placed on another SQ BCD. I also use a Suunto Vytec w/ wireless tranmitter. So I only have 2 hoses.

The reason I asked about yur size is that I am 6' 4" & weigh 240 lbs. Originally my LDS tried to steer me into an XL, but as I am lossing weight I went w/ A Large. So depending on how big you are you could size yourself out of your BCD.

I have a ProQD+. A good BC. Can't really think of any negative characteristics on it performance-wise. But it is a bit bulky and heavy.

I have switched to BP+Wing and is using it more. I love the performance it provides. Might want to take a look.

My ProQD+ is currently sitting as a spare.

Ciao,

Azza:
The Pro QD however has pockets that you cannot get into when weight integration is in and /or the jacket is inflated (like on the surface and trying to get your safety sausage out so the boat can find you) and also squeezes you around the middle as you inflate it more.
How a BC fits and works for you is a very personal thing.

I have an older velcro pocket Pro QD and have no trouble getting stuff in and out of the pockets, even with 8# of lead in each weight pouch. I keep EMT shears, a PCa 7.2Watt light, and a small sausage/dsmb and 30' of line in the right pocket; and gloves, a knife, whistle, and combo slate/signal mirror, and sometimes a 200ml juice pack (for mid-dive refreshment) in the other pocket. Also a snorkel into left pocket when diving on Florida Keys boats that require it. Everthing in the right pocket is clipped off to a pin-mount D-ring with a bungee loop.

At 6'0", 185#, both the M/L and L size fit me reasonably, but I went with the smaller M/L size. I like the ProQD enough that I bought a second one when duplicating most of my gear a couple years ago.

KaBoOm, you really need to try BCs out for fit. In the water if at all possible.

Charlie

I have a ProQD+, great BC, it just can't touch a BP/W in terms of comfort, flexibility, ect.

So needless to say, my ProQD+ is collecting dust hanging up on my gear rack after only 5 fresh water quarry/lake dives. I may put it up on E-Bay soon as I don't think I'll be using it again.

I've had my PRO QD+ for about two years now. It is the one I certified with and I am quite comfortable in it. I am 6'1" and 245 lbs. and I take the XL size. This thing is as rugged as can be. I've logged nearly 100 dives in fresh and salt water and it looks as new as the day I bought it. I highly recommend this BC.

I'm considering to upgrade from my current BC (SeaQuest Pro) and am choosing between the Balance and the Black Diamond.

I'm based here in the tropics, so added weights are not an issue for me. I only use two 2-lbs lead weights which I usually place on each side inside the Pro's pockets. I'll do the same with my next BC.

I love my current BC, but am contemplating on an upgrade.

What are the pros and cons of the Balance and the Black Diamond?

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom