Search And Recovery Forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
There has been a thread set up in the suggestions forum if you would like to express your interest in seeing a search and recovery forum set up on Scuba Board. The forum could cover, search methods, recovery methods, rigging and laws pertaining to salvage. It could also work as a think tank for people with salvage problems or questions. If there are enough people who feel a need for this a forum would be set up. Please post you interest in seeing a forum like that at the link below.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/suggestions/422428-search-recovery-forum.html

---------- Post added ----------

Also if you have any ideas of other areas that you feel should be covered in a forum like this please let us know what they are.

Last edited:
In the interim please feel free to ask any search and recovery questions you may have here.

What kind of search and recovery/salvage jobs have you done?

I did not see a thread there started by you, if that is why you brought this forum up. The forum I had in mind was for sport divers. This is a primary function for public safety divers and if you read through the posts in that forum you will see there is almost no mention of the subject. This is what they are all trained to do so it requires little or no discussion between them. Even most sport divers do not think about this until someone they know asks them to find something dropped over the side. My idea is that this forum could help someone facing this problem for the first time.

Not exactly what comes to my mind when requesting a "Search and Recovery" forum. As a sport diver most are taught this skill in OW and then again in the Rescue Diver course. Best of luck with your request.

Would a "Salvage Forum" sound more to the point?

There isn't enough ongoing demand for these questions and answers as far as I've seen. Most of them could be posted into the Adv or Public Safety Diver forum IMO. If it is indeed for rec divers wondering how to rig or salvage something then I think the Adv forum would be a good place to ask the question.

There isn't enough ongoing demand for these questions and answers as far as I've seen. Most of them could be posted into the Adv or Public Safety Diver forum IMO. If it is indeed for rec divers wondering how to rig or salvage something then I think the Adv forum would be a good place to ask the question.

I was thinking that this is something every diver is asked to do at some point by someone who knows they are a diver and who dropped something over the side. Most of the time it is something small where running a simple search pattern and recovering the item would be enough. I do not really see this part as advanced but it is also something most do not think about or train for until someone asks them to look for something. The advanced part comes in when the item is large and would fall into the salvage category. Then rigging comes into play along with getting the object to the surface. I think both aspects could be covered in the same forum.

---------- Post Merged at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Not exactly what comes to my mind when requesting a "Search and Recovery" forum. As a sport diver most are taught this skill in OW and then again in the Rescue Diver course. Best of luck with your request.

I was not aware that search and recovery was covered in OW. I was under the impression the new OW diver was searching for what hose goes where but it has been 40 years since I took that course. Maybe you meant AOW? If not what exactly are you teaching OW students about searching for and recovering or salvaging lost items?

You may be correct, it was likely AOW and Rescue. Either way unless we are talking about some serious salvage I doubt there will be any significant interest in learning how to perform basic search patterns or utilizing a lift bag for smaller items as I see these as relatively benign skills easily mastered with little practice. Again, I wish you the best of luck with your request.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom