Search Hints

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seibert.kyle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Last summer our 21 foot wakeboarding boat sank. Long story, dont really want to get into it. We found it with our friend's FishFinder and got it up. To make a long story short, the thing was not worth the trouble and after trying to get it floating without assitance from the lift bags, it resunk. This summer I want to go on an adventure and refind it. However, it would be awesome to find it underwater, not with a FishFinder. We know the general area, but who knows how much it has moved in a year. We will probably have 3 of us available to search. Suggestions?

I'm not very experienced, but am interested in what people will chime in on, because I want to re-find a huge ship anchor about 50 yards NE of the Algeria wreck off Cleveland harbor in Lake Erie that a buddy and I found when we dropped down and missed the wreck.

Georgann and Michael Wachter's book "Erie Wrecks West" doesn't mention anything about this huge anchor near the Algeria, so I kindof thought that we had something. It was an old double fluke style anchor so big, you could swim under it between the cross beam and the bottom of the anchor.

Anyway, I always thought that if two divers swam out from the Algeria, one North and the other going east with a line stretched between them, then they would run across it by the line hitting the anchor. Of course you would have to distinguish the difference between the signal tugs on the line from your buddy, vs the line actually catching the anchor.

The circle method also seems like a good (similar) idea, by staking a center point and pulling a line in an ever expanding radius til you hit something.

We know the general area, but who knows how much it has moved in a year. We will probably have 3 of us available to search. Suggestions?

What makes you think it moved? Did you have some wild fish joy ridding during Spring Break?

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom