Searching for Christian dive buddies -- Copy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True enough.. I guess that'd be freaky. All of a sudden.. you'd see gear floating to the bottom with no body?!

eek.

But, that's the chances one takes diving!

:crafty: I don't take offense to Christians asking for Christian dive buddies...I think maybe people just wondered where the relevance is, but then he explained it in saying he wanted to dive with others who share the same beliefs.

If there are any Pagan divers out there, pm me~

Firebrand:
For everyone else, what would the response have been if he asked for ... Catholic ...

the first pope was there, man... he saw the whole thing with his own eyes (his name
was Peter)

Martin Luther didn't come around until 1600 years later!

so who you gonna believe? :eyebrow:

on the serious side, hey, everybody's entitled to want to dive with people that
share their own beliefs and interests.

what's wrong with that? why are we so insecure we can't let a guy ask for
fellow Christian divers? it don't bother me none; it ain't none of my business;
and i sure as heck don't care! :wink:

I dive with anyone, especialy experienced divers so I can learn and get better.
I guess I need to explain a bit more about my believes: I chose to be a Christian(I am 43 and became Christian in Aug 2003) because I find more inner peace and more tolerance towards the ugliness of this world, and that's it...nothing else about being Christian interests me, I don't belive in the religion, I just belive in Christ Jesus who lived as God's son and died for us, what an amazing story, what an amazing man he was.....so, basicaly I am a Barbarian Christian, not a domesticated one.
Just like diving; underwater simply brings my inner peace level up as soon as I hit the water; suddenly the traffic, stupid/angry/nasty/rude people, politics,orginized religions of all kinds and so on, dissapears and comes the beautiful quite place with it's welcoming, friendly hosts. Again, nothing complicated, it's just a different world down there which makes me more peaceful, happy than up here.

H2Andy:
the first pope was there, man... he saw the whole thing with his own eyes (his name
was Peter)

Martin Luther didn't come around until 1600 years later!

so who you gonna believe? :eyebrow:

on the serious side, hey, everybody's entitled to want to dive with people that
share their own beliefs and interests.

what's wrong with that? why are we so insecure we can't let a guy ask for
fellow Christian divers? it don't bother me none; it ain't none of my business;
and i sure as heck don't care! :wink:

Godly_Diver, if you ever come to Texas, the Christian Divers of Texas would be glad to have you. I need to check up on their planned events for this year...

To answer another question, I believe that if someone had come on the board looking for a Buddhist, Moslem, or even a NASCAR diving group, the issue of possible offensiveness would NOT have been brought up. Everyone who didn't agree with or follow that belief set would have either remained silent or pointed the person asking in the right direction. However, I notice that almost anytime someone mentions their Christian faith on this board, a discussion of intolerance soon follows. There is no intolerance inherent in Christianity, quite literally the opposite - we are taught to love and respect everyone. Indeed, all people - no matter their beliefs - have worth and are beloved creations of God. Hence the phrase, "Hate the sin and not the sinner". Episodes of intolerance fall solely upon the conciences of the individuals involved, and in practicing such they are running counter to the central message of Christianity.

Individuals of all religions can be incredibly intolerant - Muslims and Hindus, Muslims and Christians, Everybody and Jews, etc., yet the fundamental teachings of most major religions is one of love and respect. You should understand that it is the shortcomings of the people involved, and not the teaching of the religion that makes them that way. When you hear someone declare their Christianity, one of the first things you ought to assume about the person is that they love and respect all humans as creations of God, no matter their race, social standing, or creed. To assume the negative is to be intolerant and bigoted yourself.

Spamsonite:
Godly_Diver, if you ever come to Texas, the Christian Divers of Texas would be glad to have you. I need to check up on their planned events for this year...

To answer another question, I believe that if someone had come on the board looking for a Buddhist, Moslem, or even a NASCAR diving group, the issue of possible offensiveness would NOT have been brought up. Everyone who didn't agree with or follow that belief set would have either remained silent or pointed the person asking in the right direction. However, I notice that almost anytime someone mentions their Christian faith on this board, a discussion of intolerance soon follows. There is no intolerance inherent in Christianity, quite literally the opposite - we are taught to love and respect everyone. Indeed, all people - no matter their beliefs - have worth and are beloved creations of God. Hence the phrase, "Hate the sin and not the sinner". Episodes of intolerance fall solely upon the conciences of the individuals involved, and in practicing such they are running counter to the central message of Christianity.

Individuals of all religions can be incredibly intolerant - Muslims and Hindus, Muslims and Christians, Everybody and Jews, etc., yet the fundamental teachings of most major religions is one of love and respect. You should understand that it is the shortcomings of the people involved, and not the teaching of the religion that makes them that way. When you hear someone declare their Christianity, one of the first things you ought to assume about the person is that they love and respect all humans as creations of God, no matter their race, social standing, or creed. To assume the negative is to be intolerant and bigoted yourself.

God bless you and yes, I will love to dive with you if I am ever in TX....same applies to you, when you are in OC let me know.

Sorry, but you're wrong. Christians aren't singled out on this board.

As an example (with a group that Christians hate, even): Do a search for gay divers and see the responses to multiple posts VERY similar to the first post on this thread. Christians aren't being martyred here, they just tend to be the group that screams the loudest when they perceive that they are being discriminated against.

Spamsonite:
To answer another question, I believe that if someone had come on the board looking for a Buddhist, Moslem, or even a NASCAR diving group, the issue of possible offensiveness would NOT have been brought up.

Hello There Godly_Diver,
Welcome to Scuba Board –One of the most informative and dedicated boards on the net. You can meet a lot of helpful people here and it’s an awesome place to get answers to your questions regarding scuba diving. If you ever want to chat feel free to PM me. Take care and Safe Diving

-Matt- :palmtree::sunny

Click here to greet a new member!
:thumb:
No experience needed and it feels great!

ReefGuy:
Sorry, but you're wrong. Christians aren't singled out on this board.

As an example (with a group that Christians hate, even): Do a search for gay divers and see the responses to multiple posts VERY similar to the first post on this thread. Christians aren't being martyred here, they just tend to be the group that screams the loudest when they perceive that they are being discriminated against.

Hey ReefGuy,
My best man in my wedding was one of my best friends for over a decade is gay, always a great friend but in his personal life his choice on sexual compenionship is different than mine, never bothered me and never will. If he scuba dives and posts a message asking for other gay divers joining him, well.... more power to him..as long as I don't loose him as a friend, I really don't care what he does in part of his personal time. It's all about respecting and loving one another unconditionaly....There is no hate in my heart towards anyone but I have anger to deal with sometimes, that's why I chose to be a Christian so I can learn to control that feeling more effectively.
Also on the flip side, there are a few people that I am affiliated with through work, other friends etc. who claim for being Christians, Jews, atheists....I avoid building any releationship with them as I don't agree and respect their approach to others, but also there are others with same belives who are my good friends as they are "good", loving, caring people.
There you have it, as long as anyone is a responsible, safe and positive minded diver..I'll be honored to explore the underwater world with them..hey, bring on some Christian believers to the party and that's the gravy.
Enjoy your weekend, I'll be in Catalina for a day of boat dives this Sunday, can't wait.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom