Seasickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toxman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all. I'm a very new diver, having done my Open Water cert and a Club Dive. Out of the five dives I have done, two have ended in seasickness and vomiting. I really enjoy my time while I'm not sick. I'm keen to hear what advice you have for preventing and dealing with seasickness.

Im sorry if this questions sounds stupid but do you mean you got seasick from the diving or a boat ride? I've spent a bit of time in Perth, what LDS do you dive with?

---------- Post added ----------

Are you becoming ill while on a boat or while diving?

Snap...

I get the pukes everytime. Tried everything over the counter, herbs like ginger etc, wrist bands at pressure points n still turned green n puked. Then I got the prescription patches that you stick behind yer ears. They 100 percent work...at a price. They make me feel very drugged and drowsey. I've since decided to just get sick on the boat and then once in the water hang on the line till I feel better and enjoy me dive. The ride back is hell, but I'd rather be sea sick on the boat and avoid the effects of Scopolamine on top of being narced at depth. It may affect other people differently though. My tips for being sick on the ride out and back is to keep your face in the wind...but be planning a route to puke overboard. Also listen to the conversations going on between the other divers...distract from the sick feeling is a key. It may save you a few miles before the hurling begins :)

mark01:
Are you becoming ill while on a boat or while diving?

In both cases, they were shore dives and occurred at the end of the dive. In the latter case, I noticed the swell as we were heading back and the condition was exacerbated by looking down at my computer (the DM I was buddied with suggested to feed the hose through the inside of my cumberbund clip on my BC to stop it dragging through silt - a good idea, but I found it hard to see easily). I was also having some buoyancy issues, which wouldn't have helped.

I could feel it coming on, so signaled to surface, surfaced, inflated BC and hurled. I feel better after, but feel wiped out for the afternoon. I took a TravelCalm before the dive, but took it late and only took one.

I'm hoping that you guys say - it will pass, so stick with it. :S

I use triptone.

If I know the seea will be rough - I take 2 the night before as I go to bed and another one when I get up in the morning.

If the water will be calm - I just take one the nighe before.

I can still get a little quesy if it takes to long to get in the water at the dive site, but I have not hurled yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom