Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How tall are you? Steel 100 are the norm but if you're a taller person a steel 120 might be even better.

@piranhaman00
A lot of folks around here are using 28-30lbs of lead for salt water with steel tanks, drysuit, and the equivalent of 250g undergarments. Get used to it. The "extra" weight will allow you to be puffed up on your stop and not be cold.

Huh interesting, I didn’t realize I would need that much extra, thanks for the replies!

Huh interesting, I didn’t realize I would need that much extra, thanks for the replies!
I tried 22-24 initially and couldn't hold my stop without being squeezed and it sucked towards the end of my dive. I'd rather carry a bit more weight and be warm/comfy. With an HP 100 and my 150 I use 28 lbs. With the 250 I use 30. Life is good when you're warm.

I tried 22-24 initially and couldn't hold my stop without being squeezed and it sucked towards the end of my dive. I'd rather carry a bit more weight and be warm/comfy. With an HP 100 and my 150 I use 28 lbs. With the 250 I use 30. Life is good when you're warm.
If you don’t mind my jumping in here, what is your distribution between trim pockets and weight belt? Or do you wear a belt?

If you don’t mind my jumping in here, what is your distribution between trim pockets and weight belt? Or do you wear a belt?
Seconded, I wouldn't mind some fresh ideas either. I spent a few hours in the pool yesterday. Ended the day at 400psi in a single HP100 Worthington with 2 pounds behind each shoulder and 4 pounds on each hip (12lb lead total), 6 pound steel backplate. Completely dumping the wing and "comfortable" squeeze I could hold a motionless stop at 10ft fairly well, but still experienced some very slow foot drop (Apeks RK3 HD) over time that needed minor corrections. Was using mid-weight meshtec undergarments and ran glove liners and hood (sweating my arse off) to make sure the weighting requirements were as real world as possible.

Torn as to whether adding a couple more pounds at the shoulders makes sense next, changing it up to 3 pounds in all corners, or maybe just shifting the tank up in the cam bands another inch. I'll get it all figured out over the next few weekends, but any suggestions or random thoughts welcome as well as any configurations that work for you guys.

One thing I was surprised at - If I add any more weight to my kit, it won't be self-bouyant with a full 30lb wing, so I guess I might be also looking at going to back to moving some lead to a weight belt or swapping in a 40 lb singles wing. Probably easiest to just throw strap on some lead to my body.

Seconded, I wouldn't mind some fresh ideas either. I spent a few hours in the pool yesterday. Ended the day at 400psi in a single HP100 Worthington with 2 pounds behind each shoulder and 4 pounds on each hip (12lb lead total), 6 pound steel backplate. Completely dumping the wing and "comfortable" squeeze I could hold a motionless stop at 10ft fairly well, but still experienced some very slow foot drop (Apeks RK3 HD) over time that needed minor corrections. Was using mid-weight meshtec undergarments and ran glove liners and hood (sweating my arse off) to make sure the weighting requirements were as real world as possible.

Torn as to whether adding a couple more pounds at the shoulders makes sense next, changing it up to 3 pounds in all corners, or maybe just shifting the tank up in the cam bands another inch. I'll get it all figured out over the next few weekends, but any suggestions or random thoughts welcome as well as any configurations that work for you guys.

One thing I was surprised at - If I add any more weight to my kit, it won't be self-bouyant with a full 30lb wing, so I guess I might be also looking at going to back to moving some lead to a weight belt or swapping in a 40 lb singles wing. Probably easiest to just throw strap on some lead to my body.
16 lb belt sitting right on/above my hips, 6-12 lbs in weight pockets on my waist strap, 4 lbs opposite my pony on the lower can band. I don't want any squeeze at stops so I'm a bit heavy. The varying weight is for different tanks or undergarments. 6lbs with my 119 regardless of undergarment. 8lbs for 150 with a 100. 10 lbs for 250 with 100 or 150 with 80. 12 lbs for 250 with 80

16 lb belt sitting right on/above my hips, 6-12 lbs in weight pockets on my waist strap, 4 lbs opposite my pony on the lower can band. I don't want any squeeze at stops so I'm a bit heavy. The varying weight is for different tanks or undergarments. 6lbs with my 119 regardless of undergarment. 8lbs for 150 with a 100. 10 lbs for 250 with 100 or 150 with 80. 12 lbs for 250 with 80
fresh or salt?

SS bp ~ 5lbs, 2lb on those Highland weight attachments that attach to 2" webbing (so 4lbs). They're at about the bottom of my ribs. In between my doubles (LP85's or HP100's) I have a Halcyon V pouch that holds 6lbs in the bottom "tail" portion. I dive with Hollis F1's. The only thing that I change ever is the weights on the 2" webbing. I'm 5'11.5" 195-200#'s with a bit of a dad bod, like holding hands and sunsets:)

Back
Top Bottom