Seatec BC's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rtmemtb:
Just purchased several pieces of equipment. part of the deal was a old BC made by Seatec. I have never heard of them. Any one know about this company?

Rtmemtb,

I started with a SeaTec horsecollar BC in '85 and then moved up to a jacket style SeaTec in '86. It was not a Manta but may have been called a Stingray. It was one of the very first single bag/bladder designs on the market. I put 300+ dives on it by '01 when it sprung a small leak and I had to retire it.

They have, in my opinion, one of the better tank attachment straps/systems. It is a positive rolling cam design similar to what Scuba Pro uses. Once you flip the handle you never have to worry about your tank slipping out.

Rickg

Seatec is still very actively making BCs & other goodies, they're just doing it as an OEM now. You've probably seen their products, they just have somebody else's name on them. (sorry, I don't have a list of their clients)
Their wings, first made in the early '70s, will give any other mfgr's wing a run for their money.
The downside is that they're not cheap, costing the dealer darn near as much as what he can afford to retail other BCs for.

They make the Sunfish for the military. Its a horse collar model. I have a commercial Manta. Awesome BC. Simple and reliable.

I was given a Seatec SC200, looks like a very well constructed jacket BC. Don't see a CO2 cartridge though???

DFC5343:
I have a commercial Manta. Awesome BC. Simple and reliable.

I just bought a used SeaTec Manta (yes, I'm taking it to my LDS this weekend for an inspection before using it...) My purchase decision was mostly motivated by price, but as a newbie, I'm also trying to go with the "simple" concept. Is there any real downside to the Manta in anyone's experience/opinion, especially for an inexperienced diver?

I must say, I prefer the Seatec SC200 to my Black Diamond back inflate, the trim was perfect with 20lbs of lead???

I purchased a used SeaTec Manta earlier this year. I have used it about 5 or 6 times and love the thing. When putting it on it looks too small. the fit around the torso is great but the length is somewhat short. That could be because I'm generally tall. After putting the weight belt on it all looks normal so maybe it was designed with the weight belt in mind.
The only downside I have found is the double tank strap. It's my opinion the upper strap is placed too high which, in turn, keeps the tank in a higher position than a single strap would. When horizontal under the surface, the valve hits the back of my head when looking straight ahead. I may experiment with it and try sliding the tank down a bit. Only problem is that this would eliminate the use of the top strap.
I have also found that there are very few d rings or places to attach accessories. Anyone know what the zippers are for under the flaps on the front? Looks as if there were factory accessories to attach there.

You mean like these:

Black Seatec horsecollar BC (Sunfish model). It is new, I purchased it summer before last. These are commonly used by military divers I am told--don't really know but I like it because it is a good, streamlined, simple, functional BC. Love it with small doubles.

DSCF0069.jpg

Here is a new Seatec wing (Seahorse model). I purchased one of these circa 1982 and used it until only a few years ago. It was worn out and somehow I was GIVEN this one last year, absolutely identical to the one I had used for so long and of the era. It is brand new best I can tell. These are around 40 to 45 pounds lift. Dives great.

DSCF0038.jpg

An old ad:

72982140_o.jpg

While it is true to some extent that solid horozontal trim is problematic with a horsecollar BC it is equally true that they are simple, streamlined, functional and will support your head above the water with an open airway far better than any currrent design of BC that I am aware of.

N

Back
Top Bottom