second stage bungee necklace...slip knots vs ziptied off?

Bungee necklace...ZIP TIE or Slip knots

• Zip Tie

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Slip knots

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • other

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why? isn't this something that should be discussed in a basic class? We certainly do since all of our students use this regulator setup when they first learn....

Bungeed necklace reg being taught in a basic OW course? You gotta be kidding. I suppose the shops near you start basic students on BP/W, twinsets and long hoses.

Fisherman's knot for me too. Never had a problem except for pulling off a mouthpiece one time in my basement when I was trying to get the damn bungee off without loosening the knot. I can't imagine the ziptie method being any tighter. As for the silicone Manta necklaces, I hate them. Way too loose.

we start ours on bp/w, what is a slightly modified reg setup from what GUE used to teach for OW, short hose octo, "long hose" primary bowed out, and the modification is the use of a Suunto 2-gauge console that crosses to the right shoulder D-ring.

My point was that this is not anything other than a basic scuba question, this regulator setup is become much more mainstream these days and as it is a superior regulator configuration should, I hope, see itself take hold as the new "standard" in the next few years... That said, there is nothing "advanced" about this, or "technical" in nature and if we start treating these types of setups as "basic" it will hopefully trickle down and start becoming the norm....

oh, for anyone curious, here's how to tie a suicide strap/necklace if you work better with videos.
[video=youtube;QVFUz7esCF8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVFUz7esCF8[/video]

Actually I do put OW students into BPW's with long hose set ups during the class. They also see jackets and back inflates. For OW checkouts they get to decide what configuration they will use.
BPW's make more sense than any other BC for instructors on a budget. 4 rigs with the webbing not trimmed is enough for any 4 students in a class regardless of their size.
A long hose style set up with a bungee back up is, IMO, a safer configuration.
Even in a jacket style BC I teach donate the reg, not victim take.
In a jacket in my classes there is no "golden triangle" as one agency refers to the location of the octo. It is on the right shoulder about even with the nipple.
It is held in place by surgical tubing and a couple zip ties. No scum balls or gimmicky holders.
Easy to access, always in plain sight, and it is always donated by the hose close to the second stage case.

As for my own back up - a simple knot at the ends of the bungee, zip tied to form a loop. Been doing it this way for going on ten years now. Never had one fail.

why? isn't this something that should be discussed in a basic class? We certainly do since all of our students use this regulator setup when they first learn....

Since this is the Basic Forum, no, it is not. It is not a typical recreational rigging. Most, like 99% of all divers, use some sort of holder for an octopus and DO NOT donate the primary. I do see a few divers occasionally using a fisherman knot or zip tie and a long hose, from time to time I might even come across a small cluster of techie sorts but it is rare. Outside of scubieboard, nobody even knows what you are talking about.

You know, among the recreational divers who do use a fisherman knot, they are necklacing their octopus and use the fisherman knot because it is secure and deploys the octopus quickly without yanking the mouthpiece off. Which is what I do. My wife uses a small rubber band to secure her octopus to the right D ring on her Zuma. I dive a double hose Argonaut Kraken regulator, I certainly will not be donating that, so my octopus either is necklaced with a fisherman knot or I too use the small rubber band type octo-keepers and secure it on my right D ring. Necklaced G250 with Kraken a few weeks ago:

IMG_5337_zpsm2789hax.jpg

Wife with Zuma and standard octo secured to her D ring, she is a little thing so I have since gotten her a shorter octo hose, so she is in the OTHER catagory:

IMG_2413.jpg

I have a long hose rig but I have since returned it to a standard octopus configuration with a 40 inch hose on my octopus and I also now have an integrated inflator unit and when I use it I have no octopus second at all. I am not cave diving or diving with a ceiling anymore, up is up and that is where I am going with an OOA diver and I do not need a long hose to do that. I am a Militant Minimalist (solo often) diver, I am not going to compromise my rig with all the extra hose lengths for the off chance I might need to help an OOA diver, which I cannot immediately recall doing outside of my DM/AI days. As a minimalist, if I do not need it and cannot foresee any advantage or use for it, whatever "it" is, it is gone from my rig.

The majority of barracudas interviewed are minimalist and use neither and seem to have no particular opinion of the matter:

IMG_2598.jpg

I tried to interview this moray on the subject but he was to busy trying to eat this dead shark:

IMG_5220_zpssagclzsu.jpg

N

Last edited:
So maybe I'm an idiot, but my reg keeps falling out of the the double fisherman's knot set up. Well, it keeps getting pulled out of the knot and then I have to reset the damn thing. How much force to people have to apply to pull the necklace off the regulator over the mouthpiece? Because it doesn't seem to be very much force for me.

Using HOG zenith 2nd on a short hose. Bungees tied by my LDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My "other" is similar to the slip knot method, but are not slip knots. I'll have to try the slipknots as it may be easier, and work as well as what I use.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom