Second thoughts about cenote diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many cavern tours do not allow anyone but the dive guide to carry a light. This prevents people from getting tempted to go past the "GO NO FURTHER" sign.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Maybe so, but in the Yucatan Peninsula it's common for all to carry lights and the guide to lead what is really a cave dive - not a cavern dive. The snorkelers stick to the cavern zone of course.

Maybe so, but in the Yucatan Peninsula it's common for all to carry lights and the guide to lead what is really a cave dive - not a cavern dive. The snorkelers stick to the cavern zone of course.

There are written standards for what constitutes a cavern. As long as you stay on the printed side of the sign, it's a cavern.

But yes, I was thinking about Florida where there are some places that non-cave certified divers are not allowed to carry lights ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TSandM, ScubaSam hope we see you soon in a cenote:D

Same here, Damage, please keep us posted about your training, always interested in what a fellow future cavern/cave diver is up to. :D

That is so true, after finished the first dive, I was sure that I will never want to dive in the ocean again:D

Now that is extreme ... I don't do caves (yet), but I cannot imagine going without diving in places so rich in marine life it makes you dizzy.

Strangely, on my first cenote dive, I felt calmer in there than I often do in the open ocean. It's illogical for sure, but my brain seems to have interpreted the incredibly still, incredibly clear water as calming, soothing. I felt like I was floating effortlessly through the ether. It was the most magical, peaceful experience. I dove two cenotes on that trip and would love to do it again.

That said, let me back up to the moment the dive guide and I entered the water. (It was just the two of us.) The first thing he did was give me a sign to share air. As he expected, I was caught off guard. As he hoped, I recognized he was giving me a drill and so I calmly went through the motions and shared air with him. I suspect that, having been accompanied by some borderline reckless DMs, his wonderfully responsible drill immediately set me at ease.

Strangely, on my first cenote dive, I felt calmer in there than I often do in the open ocean. It's illogical for sure, but my brain seems to have interpreted the incredibly still, incredibly clear water as calming, soothing. I felt like I was floating effortlessly through the ether. It was the most magical, peaceful experience. I dove two cenotes on that trip and would love to do it again.

I know exactly what you mean. Here's what I wrote after my first tours:

I felt as though I'd been transported out of myself, literally exalted and utterly joyful, aware of my skin all the way to my fingertips and totally in the moment. It was the most exquisite and intense pleasure I've had diving, and it was composed in part of the utter clarity of the water, the incredible beauty of the surroundings, and the complete peace of the place. Reef diving is visually and kinesthetically busy -- Life and water in constant motion, demanding your attention in every direction. The caves are meditative and internal, and I felt as though time dilated and even my heartbeat was slowed. I had some of the same reaction to floating between the walls of two billion year old rock, deep in the Grand Canyon, but this was ever so much stronger. This was truly a drug, and I will do whatever I need to do for another dose of it.

The final statement was really prophetic.

I have a completely different feeling about cavern diving. I did it just a few months ago, loved it.... BUT do I want to give up ocean diving??? No freakin' way!!! I love love love the ocean, all the critters, the reefs, the activity, and I love shooting video of that. Will I cavern dive again, yes, maybe a few times, but it is still nothing like the ocean to me!!!

:D

"like what if something happened to the dive master and the three of us were left alone? "

We cant plan for every contingency, working for one of these companies doing cenote tours to expect us to consider everything would mean no one would be able to afford to go diving here. Can you imagine having to have 2 instructors on every dive, but then what if something happened to both instructors???

You should have been told that every line in the Centoes where we take non cave certified to are actually a loop/single line and if you follow them they will lead you back out somewhere. Are divers are told that if they feel uncomfortable, they signal "quick waggle of the light" turn around and the entire group exits the cavern.

Most diver do not think beyond them selves when doing this so the fact you sat back and considered what if something happens to the instructor shows that maybe you are the sort of person who would really enjoy the extra training and knowledge gained in the other courses.

Back
Top Bottom