Second thoughts about cenote diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I dove the Cenote last year, the guide picked me up at the hotel and we spent about an hour driving to the Cenote. During that hour, he learned about my skills and gave me a pretty good briefing on what to do, expect, etc.

I had a grand time. My biggest issue was doing a giant stride into water that was so clear that I did not believe it was really there or would keep me from crashing into the rocks on the bottom.

Now, I dive in the pool with the plastic cover over it! (Necessity is the mother of invention.)

Same experience with the giant stride! My first time diving a Cenote, the only stressful part of my dive was the giant stride. I had to ask the guide if I was going to hit the rocks below. He laughed and said don't worry it's deep. Once in the water I could see it was 8 or 9' deep.:D

There are not always signs in Mexico (there is not "always" anything in mexico)

:rofl3: So true, I did my first dive ever, in Mexico. Had a 5 minutes breifing. :rofl3:

"like what if something happened to the dive master and the three of us were left alone? "

We cant plan for every contingency, working for one of these companies doing cenote tours to expect us to consider everything would mean no one would be able to afford to go diving here. Can you imagine having to have 2 instructors on every dive, but then what if something happened to both instructors???

You should have been told that every line in the Centoes where we take non cave certified to are actually a loop/single line and if you follow them they will lead you back out somewhere. Are divers are told that if they feel uncomfortable, they signal "quick waggle of the light" turn around and the entire group exits the cavern.

Most diver do not think beyond them selves when doing this so the fact you sat back and considered what if something happens to the instructor shows that maybe you are the sort of person who would really enjoy the extra training and knowledge gained in the other courses.

Yes, they told us everything, and of course is not logical that the operators send two guides, they are very professional, still I really enjoyed the dive, just thinking ahead to be a more resourceful diver.

Now that is extreme ... I don't do caves (yet), but I cannot imagine going without diving in places so rich in marine life it makes you dizzy.

:D that was my first thought, but the next day we dove a place named "Santo Remedio" and remember why I love the ocean so much:wink:

Back
Top Bottom