Seeking advice for WP-DC900

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utnapistim

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got a WP-DC900 for my Cannon A80 camera ( worked great on saturday :) ). I have some qustions on it thow:

1. What would you guys suggest I use for transporting such a casing? I allready use TripleL Laguna gearbag for BC, fins and all that. I'd rather have some small protective box to store the camera in, which would fit nicely inside my Laguna bag. I tried a Tusa mask plastic box, but the casing didn't fit by 3-4 cm :(.

2. How should I store it at home? Should I wipe the o-ring of silicone grease after each use? Or is that protecting the O-ring? (the instructions said to wipe it clean BEFORE use ... so I guessed between uses I should keep it greased?)
Should I store it opened in someplace? or closed? Should I store the O-ring separately (i.e. get it down from the casing and keep it inside with the casing closed?) How fragile is the casing? Or the O-ring?

Any advise from WP-DC900 users would be greatly apreciated. Thanks.

utnapistim:
Hi,

I just got a WP-DC900 for my Cannon A80 camera ( worked great on saturday :) ). I have some qustions on it thow:

1. What would you guys suggest I use for transporting such a casing? I allready use TripleL Laguna gearbag for BC, fins and all that. I'd rather have some small protective box to store the camera in, which would fit nicely inside my Laguna bag. I tried a Tusa mask plastic box, but the casing didn't fit by 3-4 cm :(.

2. How should I store it at home? Should I wipe the o-ring of silicone grease after each use? Or is that protecting the O-ring? (the instructions said to wipe it clean BEFORE use ... so I guessed between uses I should keep it greased?)
Should I store it opened in someplace? or closed? Should I store the O-ring separately (i.e. get it down from the casing and keep it inside with the casing closed?) How fragile is the casing? Or the O-ring?

Any advise from WP-DC900 users would be greatly apreciated. Thanks.
I have a canon made case for my canon S30 and I would recommend pulling the O-ring out of the case and storing it in a plastic baggy with a light coat of grease inside of the case during storage. The O-ring will change shape if it's in the little slot in the case for too long. Also to be safe replace the O-ring once per year.
I have been bad about transporting it. Should get something like a Pelican case but I have just kept in my suitcase (in the middle between all of my clothes when traveling. Haven't had a problem yet.
Make sure you buy some moisture munchers and keep one inside of the case while diving. It will prevent fogging.

fishfood:
http://www.scubaboard.com/f3-.html
is a link to the camera boards... repost or something.. but that where they might move it to... :)
ohh dont know about cameras sorry bro
i know about that; but i was asking for any small, inobtrusive bag for my casing.

thanks anyway

I have the same case and camera. I slide it into a neoprene mask storage bag/case. It fits perfectly into it and has a velcro closure. Works as a nice padded case. I just place it in my carry on back pack. It was originally built to hold and store a mask. Cost about 5 bucks. Others have mentioned using soft, small ice coolers. You know the foldable ones? Also good for rinsing your camera housing if shore diving in SW.

As far as o-rings and case strength goes, I would say that they are more durable than you might imagine but just when you take that durability for granted is when you will have a flood and that will almost always be because of user error. Watch out for hairs crossing the spot where the case closes and don't jump in the water while holding your camera. Insist that someone hands it down to you or don't take it. I have had two floods thus far in two years. The first was because of my wife's long blonde hair I failed to notice. New camera. The second was because I did a giant stride with the camera in hand. The force of the water can move the o-ring causing a small leak. I saved the camera that time. Get used to it. Especially when using the cheaper plastic housings you WILL eventually have a flood. It's not IF, it's WHEN. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom