Seeking dive shop recommendations Okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

90to90

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I will be fulfilling a life-long dream and travelling to Japan in October. I have plans to visit Miyakojima and Ishigaki during that time, and can't wait for all the diving. Would appreciate recommendations for English-speaking dive operators on those islands, favorite dive sites, and things to do out of the water as well. Cheers.

Ishigaki and Miyako are some nice islands to visit. Miyako has gin-clear water and nice water temps :) For a more thorough description of activities, take a look at this blog: The Miyakojima paradox : my mixed-feeling experience

Conditions weren't fantastic when I visited Miyako but I did a day of boat diving. The dives were OK but other than the vizi and warm water, I have no lasting impression.

Ishigaki of course is famous for manta rays. Of course, it isn't a guarantee that they'll be found but highly likely in season. If my memory serves correctly, we saw mantas on two of the dives. I have a short video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w19vydWZ4pQ

As far as dive operators, there are plenty to choose from on both islands. As far as English-speaking operators, I cannot really recommend any because I communicated with the staff in Japanese. That being said, it looks like Penguin Divers (Miyako) and Prime Scuba Ishigaki have good reviews from English-speaking divers.

Hi all,
I will be fulfilling a life-long dream and travelling to Japan in October. I have plans to visit Miyakojima and Ishigaki during that time, and can't wait for all the diving. Would appreciate recommendations for English-speaking dive operators on those islands, favorite dive sites, and things to do out of the water as well. Cheers.
Worth contacting BSAC Japan to see if they can accommodate you. It’s a franchise from the U.K.

I never did dive Miyakojima or Ishigaki, but I've visited and they are quite beautiful. I have dived Okinawa, Keramas, and Kumejima. I lived on Okinawa for 7 years, and can help you out with dive shops in that area if you ever visit there.

Cheers,
Gary

In Ishigaki you have three operators that speak english, Viking Scuba is small and is run by a japanese guy and his swedish wife, I dived with them and was the only person on the boat which was great. Prime scuba is based in the main town and a slightly larger operation and you also have one tied to the club med hotel

I never did dive Miyakojima or Ishigaki, but I've visited and they are quite beautiful. I have dived Okinawa, Keramas, and Kumejima. I lived on Okinawa for 7 years, and can help you out with dive shops in that area if you ever visit there.

Cheers,
Gary
Hi Gary! I have a trip to Zamami planned late March-early April and am hoping for some dive recommendations. Do you recommend any English speaking dive centers there? Favorite dive spots? I have 8 days to explore, all of which are currently on Zamami. Maybe I should explore another island for 4 of those days?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom