Self-consious in a wetsuit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erparamedic

Vampire Girl......er Dork
Reaction score
Is anyone out there really self conscious about how they look in a wetsuit? I have doubled my weight since I started diving, ten years ago, and have failed at every diet out there (luckily, I have an awesome husband who loves me anyway!). I will be diving WPB in December and I'm curious if anyone has any "great ideas" for a diet, short of starving ones self. I'm not privy to starvation!! I am limited to excercises I can do right now, just had both knees operated on (at the same time= HELL!!). I am typically an active person, just can't seem to drop the extra pounds. I really DON'T want to resemble a whale or a manatee in the wetsuit!! Argh...what to do?!?!? :huh: Does anyone else feel the same way about being in a wetsuit? Any ideas? I have 7 months till my trip.

I use a product called Thermo from MMUSA www.mmusa.com it's a supplement you take under the tongue that boosts your metabolism. Totally natural. With exercise and diet, it helped me shed 10 lbs in about 6 weeks.

Since you had your knees operated on, take some before a good walk. Take the dog (or get one) for a walk. That'll give you a workout.

Good luck!

Watch you food intake, (not so much what, but how much, this generally makes sticking with it easier.) I've always failed at denial diets also, I've found that most people's diets end when they "cheat" or whatever, and now you're off the diet. Think of it less as a "Diet" and more as just eating better. If you're somewhere and see something you really want, have some, just make sure and have a small portion.

As for exercise, swimming or water aerobics classes are really good for low impact on your knees and will help you not only shed pounds, but be more comfortable in the water. Check your local YMCA and see if they have an classes. Good luck with your weight loss.

Jake

My first reaction to this thread was, "Man, I wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot shark stick!"
However, I can relate very well to what you are saying. Actually, what I look like in a wetsuit doesn't matter that much to me (Hey, if you don't like the sight of blubber stuffed into my neoprene, point your mask in a different direction!), but I have dieted off and on for about a decade in order to try to attain a healthier weight. It all started when my doctor uttered this pair of questions. "Let's see, Bill. You are 39?"
I assured him I was, and he then asked, "Do you want to see 40?"
Talk about a wake up call. After that, I got serious with my dietary efforts. The first thing my doc did was put me on a diabetic diet (I am not diabetic). That, coupled with a slow but consisitent increase in my level of exercise, did the trick. I started out just walking, then moved up to a NordicTrac (boring, but effective) and running. I didn't have to stay on that diet for long, but I dropped 30 pounds and felt great.
However, the real change was in the mindset. I undertook a much more active lifestyle. I got certification as a lifeguard and spent my summers working outdoors (I'm a professional educator and had previously spent way too much time sedentary). I pursued more active leisure activities, too, including getting into scuba. In short, I changed the way I did things in virtually every area of my life.
Do I still struggle with weight? Sure. But not like I used to. I monitor my weight and physical condition and take steps to correct before it gets out of hand. And every spring I have certain motivation to drop some winter pounds...I have to get back into that wetsuit so I can get underwater again! Best of luck in your efforts. I know you will be successful.

One of the reasons diets don't work very well is that "starving yourself" is unpleasant and creates an emotional feeling of deprivation, as well as changing your metabolism to make weight loss less likely.

Weight control is a lifestyle decision. Weight is actually very simple . . . if you eat more than you burn off, you gain weight. Weight loss requires reducing the intake and increasing the outgo. In your case, you're going to have to be creative to increase the outgo, because of the recent surgery, but swimming is luckily a non-weight-bearing activity which is inefficient and therefore burns a fair amount of energy. Water aerobics programs are good for the joint-impaired, as well.

One of the keys is not to say, "I'm going to lose all the weight I want to lose in the next 7 months." It's not going to happen, most likely. So you do it in increments.

Little things -- Park at the far end of the lot; walk the last flight of stairs to where you're going. Use a push mower on the lawn. Sweep your floor instead of vacuuming it. Make things a little MORE work.

Eating . . . Become aware. Think about what you put in your mouth. One of my rules is not to drink things with calories (which I break for wine with dinner). That's an easy place to cut out a lot of calories, if you drink sodas or juices or even much milk. Cut portions -- start with half of what you think you want. Eat that (and eat slowly) and wait twenty or thirty minutes before you give yourself a second helping -- and don't take the second helping if you can avoid it. It can be amazing how little food is actually required to feel replete, if you give your body time to recognize it's there.

It can also be very helpful to break the day's intake up into a bunch of small meals, rather than three large ones. That way, you don't get ravenously hungry before you give yourself access to food.

And, at least for me, the saddest fact is that, to control my intake well, I have to avoid the foods I love so much that I'm helpless before them . . . which means bread and pasta. Those are treats, but not a staple part of my diet. I'm also really careful to be sure that we don't have truly evil things (chips, crackers, cookies, ice cream) in our house. If you want to snack in our house, you have to put some work into it, and at some point in the process, you're likely to remember that you aren't supposed to be doing that :)

It really is a lifestyle decision. You have to look at what you were doing that caused the weight gain, and figure out how to reverse it. And, like controlling addictions, it only works if you are really sincere with yourself about wanting to change.

TSandM:
It can also be very helpful to break the day's intake up into a bunch of small meals, rather than three large ones. That way, you don't get ravenously hungry before you give yourself access to food.

I know what you mean. I have 2 snacks a day between meals so I don't gorge myself at lunch or dinner. It's amazing because I eat a lot less at meals and feel satisfied.

Make breakfast your biggest meal, followed by lunch, and then dinner. I find that if I have a good breakfast like two scrambled eggs with 1 piece of toast holds me until lunch. If you love sausages, you gotta try Boca Sausages made from soy (i'm not a vegetarian) they smell just like sausages and taste pretty damn good if you ask me, but not as greesy and they are better for you.

You can do it!!!

PS: My biggest problem is that I love food :D

A co-worker of mine has had amazing success with a diet program through his hospital. He has lost ~60 pounds last I heard in a matter of a few months. It's a very closely monitored program with lots of doctor interaction, so you know it will be safer.

It definitely involves dietary restrictions, especially at first, but it gets more relaxed as time passes.

My wife and I have been drinking protein shakes for breakfast and getting our metabolism up with excercise first thing in the day. The shakes are yummy and fill me up until lunch easily. Just getting the heart pumping early in the morning seems to help a lot controlling weight. We pedal on a stationary bike and she has recently gotten into Pilates, which is nice and low-impact, but has helped her tone quite a bit and gets the metabolism going.

I'd talk to your doctor. The success my co-worked has had is amazing. And if you're really trying to lose substantial weight, consulting with a medical professional helps keep everything safe.

You can do it! Just a bit of discipline...it's good for you! :D

Gregg

PS - I love the Boca sausages too :)

You guys/gals are great, with great ideas. I wish I had someone that I could chat with on a regular basis that also needs to lose weight. It would be a major motivator. I have been trying to watch what I eat, and how much. I don't generally buy chips, soda, cookies, etc. I love fruit, but I'm picky with veggies. I have to say that I do pretty well with eating while I'm home. It's a different story if I'm at work. I'm a Paramedic and I work in an ER. So, I'm generally running all over the ER, rarely get a lunch break, and work odd hours. I usually only drink cokes (so to speak) if I'm at work. And lately I've been back to water....feeling water-logged right now! LOL. Geesh, the caffeine withdrawal headaches can be terrible! Hopefully those go away in the next week or so. I've thought about swimming laps at the local park's indoor pool, and think I may take that up.

Keep coming with the ideas. I'm desperate to be loser!! LOL (of weight of course!!)

TSandM:
It can also be very helpful to break the day's intake up into a bunch of small meals, rather than three large ones.
I compromise by breaking the day's intake into a bunch of large meals ... I think I'm part hobbit ... :wink:

I don't worry about what I look like in a wetsuit ... but if diving in an area where there are orcas or great whites, I don't wear a black wetsuit ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

All I can do is SUGGEST go to Wal-Mart and buy the Atkins Diet book. I lost 65 pounds in 8 months. BUT, there is always a but:wink: my wife only lost 15 pounds and gave up. If you eat bread or cearal for breakfast, bread, pasta, or french fries for lunch, bread, pasta or rice for dinner. Then this diet will help. Basically you cut yourself down to 20 carbs the first two weeks and after losing between 10 to 21 pounds in the two weeks, then you play with your carbs intake. If you want more weight lost then continue with lower carb intake. If you are happy with the weight then a little higher carb intake to stabalize the weight. You have to be a meat eater, I like fish and chicken a lot and try to stay away from the read meat, because I like my heart. You can later on eat bread Wal-Mart has low carb wrap shells and low carb breads also. Wal-Mart also has has low carb soups also, but like I said it seems females have a hard time with this diet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom