Self control.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tyler Durden once bubbled...

Don't overshoot on your first try diveshop monkey...

Calm down, you guys are acting like children.

ROFLMAO!

Man, you guys are killin' me. Somebody definately owes me a screen cleaning. I just have to figure out which one of ya'll.

Note to self: Don't eat pizza while reading posts!

:mdance: :mdance: :mdance: :mdance:

OK, we now return you to your regularly scheduled bashing.

It's politically correct to say that everyone should be allowed to do anything they want, regardless of how illogical it may be or the problems it may create. Sorry, that's not how it works in the real world. Not everyone in the world is equal and that's just how it is.

We need to exercise some common sense here. Not everyone should dive. Someone who is 100 - 200 overweight most likely has some serious health issues and should not be diving until they solve these problems. The same can be said for those who don't practice their skills yet insist on diving anyway. Both people have serious problems that need to be remedied before diving even becomes and option. Both individuals create a huge liability that I'm not willing to assume.

The solution would be to tell these people to commit to practicing, working out and eating better...easier said than done. You are really left with no other choice that to refuse to dive with them until they get their act together. They might not like it...tough.

Diving is serious business...there is no room for politically correct nonsense.

Haven't we been through this same thread like 3 times??

The problem is that people differ in how they look at diving. Personally, I approach diving like a sport and stay active physically, watch what I eat, watch my weight, and avoid activities that I feel are not compatible with diving. Others feel that diving is analogous to watching TV and does not require any level of fitness or special preparation and is for everyone. Choosing appropriate buddies for your personal comfort level is what I feel is important here. If you are ok with someone as a buddy, then there is no problem. If not, then find another buddy...

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
Its a matter of degree.

I check out my potential dive buddies carefully. Physical ability to carry out the dive is one of the factors I consider.

I would not refuse to dive with someone simply because they were overweight. However, if they could not handle their gear or appeared to have other issues that were caused by the weight that would jeopardize the dive, then I'd call the dive.

Incidentally, I would do the same if it turned out that they had a bad attitude, exhibited poor buddy skills or were otherwise unacceptable.
When checking out a buddy, their ability to carry out the dive is of paramount importance. I agree with you that I would not refuse to dive with someone who is overweight. I can't stand people I don't like (oxymoron?), I don't dive with them once I determine who they are..

I agree with the people saying that an overweight diver could be maybe not the best buddy, due to his poor phisical condition and the increased risk of dcs, but the person who started this thread was talking about self control and this is very different.
In my opinion you surely cannot judge on how much self control has a person underwater and/or in critical situations relyng on how fat he is, this sound like a non sense and a very superficial evaluation, I've seen fit people paniking for the most idiotic things as well as fat people.
This depends on the mental attitude and training level of the diver and not of his percentage of fat.
Correct me if you think I'm wrong

Rick Inman once bubbled...
I'm not judging anybody,
HHHHHhhaaarrrrr!
HHhaarrr de harrr har har...
Good one, Rick
E. itajara

Back
Top Bottom