Semi-Dry Experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

checkyourmirrors

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a semi-dry suit for diving in the Northwest wheer the water temp is 46 degrees. I've heard some great things about them and I was looking at getting suit and wearing a 3-5mm shorty underneath for extra warmth. I would really prefer to avoid a dry suit since I am not a hardcore diver and any thoughts around the semi-dry and which is better or worse.

I've was looking at either the Pinnacle Kodiak 8mm or the ScubaPro NovaScotia 6.5mm.

I'v been diving a Cressi semi for years. 46F = 8C. Not a hope in hell that this little cold water wus would even consider getting in that water with a semi wet.

It doesn't matter how many inches of neoprene you wear, you'll lose body heat at an amazing rate. It will reduce your bottom time compared to a dry suit & possibly affect off gassing.

I would really prefer to avoid a dry suit since I am not a hardcore diver

Diving in a drysuit has not made me a hardcore diver......

Just a warm diver!:wink:

I stopped into my LDS to try on a drysuit, since I would love to dive locally starting in the spring, where water temps are in the 50s or so. Tried on a Diving Concepts tri-lam suit...don't know the model. Pretty comfortable. I was stoked and getting ready to sign up for the drysuit class, which I may do, but dang...the sticker shock!!! Seriously, are there any good, reliable dry-suits available that won't cost me $1200 for just the basic suit? By the time I add the under-layer, the gloves, the hood, etc., that is a MAJOR investment, approaching the sticker price of a Yugo.

There are definitely cheaper dry suits out there. Seems there are some deals out there on Bare Nex-Gen suits if you're looking... Check out this link where the base price on one of these is $640.

ScubaToys - Dry Suits

I've never worn one of these, but many reviews I've read have stated this is a quality product. Search the forums for more info. I will say this, though, I tried on a White's Fusion dry suit the other day and that was absolutely the most comfortable and easy to don dry suit I've ever seen. It's a bit more money, but holy crap if money were no object I'd be diving one of those every time.

As far as undergarments, you could go cheap-o and just wear sweats. Many folks will tell you this is a no-no and they're generally right, but it does work. You won't be as comfortable and they won't wick moisture away from your skin like modern undergarment fabrics do, but it can be done, and it's still warmer than diving wet. Old school tight-wads like me did it for a long long time, and I'm sure there's others out there who still do.

One other thing I'll say though, the investment you make in a dry suit is a good one. If you take care of it, it will last you a long long time, ideally much longer than a wetsuit, and you'll be much warmer. If you do multiple dives in a day you'll have LOTS more energy at the end of the day, which was the biggest difference for me. For me, before the dry suit, boat trips usually meant 3 dives in in water that was in the mid-50's and by dive #3 I was shivering before my fins hit the water. I was usually just surviving and toughing it out rather than really enjoying it. It was a draining day. Once I got the dry suit, it was a much different story. Warm all day, and plenty of energy to go out that evening. There's something to be said for this and a value that might make the extra money worth it.

Hope this helps!

Yup...I generally agree. The White's, especially from ScubaToys, isn't too badly priced. I'm not sure how everything integrates...boots, gloves, etc. Now I wonder if one could wear something like the skiing/snowboarding long underwear or even some Underarmour cold weather gear. It's a LOT cheaper than the drysuit undergarments, and in general, isn't too bulky. It wicks moisture away, as well.

I am looking at getting a semi-dry suit for diving in the Northwest wheer the water temp is 46 degrees. I've heard some great things about them and I was looking at getting suit and wearing a 3-5mm shorty underneath for extra warmth. I would really prefer to avoid a dry suit since I am not a hardcore diver and any thoughts around the semi-dry and which is better or worse.

I've was looking at either the Pinnacle Kodiak 8mm or the ScubaPro NovaScotia 6.5mm.

"Semi-dry" is not in any sense of the word dry, but a semi-dry suit will reduce the amount of water exchange and thereby keep you warmer. I have a Pinnacle Seal 3 mm and a Pinnacle Elastoprene 7mm, both with merino lining, and have been very pleased.

Actually I don't think the seal or elastoprene suits by Pinnacle are true semi-dry suits. The esatoprene suit fits very nicely and limits water exchange but I don't think it is intended as a semi-dry suit.

I have the Pinnacle Extreme 8.5mm/6mm semi-dry suit that has a true drysuit zipper. The suit is merino lined throughout and has a built-in hood. I have dove the suit in some ice cold temperatures, 38 being the coldest water I have taken the suit in. This suit will keep you warm while you are underwater even in these frigid temperatures. My face got ice cold but even with a drysuit your face is exposed.

While with this suit you don't exit dry you do exit much dryer then when diving a standard wetsuit. My legs from my kneecaps down and my arms up to my elbows are typically pretty wet after a 50 or so min dive although my chest, shoulders and core are all dry. Overall I think it's a good suit for someone who is going to make an occasional cold water dive in spring when air temperatures are still good. If you plan on diving in the winter cold where you will be exiting the water to an even colder air temperature I would get a drysuit.

The Pinnacle suit that I have can be bought for in around 470 dollars if you hunt around, much cheaper then even a bargain priced drysuit. As for layering neoprene under the semi-dry that I would not recommend. More neoprene = more weight and more movement restriction. If you want a semi-dry I would recommend one of the Pinnacle suits. One negative about these suits is they are very difficult to don and doff. I think you could get the suit on by yourself (the zipper is a bugger to get zipped) but to get it off you almost need someone there to help you remove the built in hood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom