Semi-dry : the best of both world ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormwarning:
Ahem,.... I happen to be a she:blinking: , but that's OK. It happens all the time:D (must be the short hair), so I'm used to it. Don't sweat it, it's cool.:14:

No idea what you mean it looks right to me up there :) :D

I used to think I was warm diving in a semi-dry (Mares isotherm) in the local quarry where the bottom temp is around 41 year round. When I went to a drysuit, I encountered a whole new level of comfort! Go dry it's worth the extra comfort!

A semi dry is just wetsuit of a little better design. No comparison to real dry. As was said earlier semi pregnant?...either you is or you ain't.

If you live in an area where the preponderance of the diving is in cold water and you have the financial wherewithall, go with a dry suit.

Diving a dry suit, you can adjust your thermal undies to suit the temperature of the water.

Diving a wet/semi-dry suit, you have to adjust the water temperature to suit the thermal properties of your suit.

The former is much easier done than the latter.

Also, in the colder regions of the world, a surface interval in windy, cold weather is much more doable than it is in a wet suit.

the K

One of my favorite advantages with a drysuit has more to do with cold air than cold water. In a wetsuit, during chilly weather, after the dive you need to strip down to wet skin and dry off before putting on your warm dry clothes. In a drysuit, you're already wearing your warm dry clothes.

There are different degrees of semi-dryness. Some are wetsuits with better seals, some are drysuits without the valves.

One thing that was not mentioned, is that semi-dry suits compress the same as wetsuits do, so lose insulation as you go deeper. Drysuits, especially if you use shell drysuits with most of the insulation in the undergarments, provide you with a constant amount of insulation regardless of depth.
if you can get a drysuit, get a drysuit. You will thank yourself.

Interesting that no one has mentioned what seems to me to be one of the big advantages of a semi-dry over a drysuit -- no need for a p-valve! I'm thinking of going semi-dry for water temps between 70 - 78 -- especially since I might be doing some classes where I might be in the water for a couple of hours at a time.

ianr33:
No P valve,good seals that dont let anything in (or out! )

Nice :D

Exactly. If that is an issue, get a wetsuit, not a semidry. Otherwise you will be swimming in 200 proof pee for two hours. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom