Semidry choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best way to save money on a wetsuit, is to buy a drysuit from the start. I have a Pinnicale Polar that sits in the closet, and only gets used if I am abalone diving. Otherwise drysuit all the way.

The question really is, what is the water temp where you will be diving at? If the temperature is anywhere near the 55 degree or colder mark then a drysuit is a requirement for multiple long dives in a day...if you want to stay warm.

I have Mares Isotherm semi dry 6,5 mm; it is great suit and I'm practicly dry inside. It is warm, confortable and easy to don.

zbocek:
I have Mares Isotherm semi dry 6,5 mm; it is great suit and I'm practicly dry inside. It is warm, confortable and easy to don.

So true!

I'm on my 2nd isotherm. I used the 2005 model. When it fit me, it was great. I made the mistake of getting the wrong size. When I gained 10 lbs, it became impossible to zip up. Now I have the 2007 model (one size larger) and it's great!

When I exit the water, I'm mostly dry inside the suit except some dampness on my forearms and lower legs. The exception is when I get too hot in the sun when I intentionally flood the suit by breaking the neck seal. The hood seals against the neck seal - very warm in 55deg water.

It's like a low-drag drysuit.

I tried the Pinnacle Arctic 7mm (like a hoodless polar). I never could get the neck seal to stop leaking and flooding my back (brrr). The arms were too tight (my body shape, nothing else) and always got chilled quickly. It didn't keep me nearly as warm as the 2005 isotherm. So that's why I got the 2007 isotherm.

One trick to very easy donning/doffing the isotherm: don't try to pull the neck, wrist, or ankle seals on or off with the slick side against your skin. Make sure the cloth side is against the skin before sliding.

Remember to burp the air out the neck seal prior to descent.

Great suit.

Peter_C:
The best way to save money on a wetsuit, is to buy a drysuit from the start.

I agree. IMHO, when diving in really cold water, semi-dry frequently equals semi-cold and that leads to being semi-depressed with your purchase. :wink:

bgi:
So true!

I tried the Pinnacle Arctic 7mm (like a hoodless polar). I never could get the neck seal to stop leaking and flooding my back (brrr). The arms were too tight (my body shape, nothing else) and always got chilled quickly. It didn't keep me nearly as warm as the 2005 isotherm. So that's why I got the 2007 isotherm.

Great suit.

The Arctic is not a semi dry suit....its supposed to get water down your back, then hold that water against your body, the water sucks the heat from your body, and it stays in the suit.....keeping you warm.....There was nothing wrong with the neck seal, thats how it works, its a wetsuit.....:wink:

Dive Right In Scuba:
The Arctic is not a semi dry suit....its supposed to get water down your back, then hold that water against your body, the water sucks the heat from your body, and it stays in the suit.....keeping you warm.....There was nothing wrong with the neck seal, thats how it works, its a wetsuit.....:wink:

You're right. The Arctic isn't a semi-dry. I don't believe I claimed it was, but I did mention it in this thread.. Pinnacle claims it's close to a semi-dry, that plus Pinnacle quality (good stuff) sold me on it:

http://www.pinnacleaquatics.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=5&toplvl=4&catid=4&catprods=4

I was impressed with the fold of neoprene that runs up the back zipper to keep the water that leaks past the zipper from getting in directly to your back. But water kept pumping in and out of my back region because the neck seal didn't work well, even after cinching it down pretty tight. My other wetsuits don't leak like this.

You're right - wetsuits let water in and you warm that water up. The neoprene insulates you against further heat loss. A GOOD wetsuit with a PROPER FIT for your body shape will prevent water from flushing in and out. The arctic just didn't fit me well. In 68-degree water, I was getting pretty chilly after 30 mins. My buddy in a trilastic was toasty.

With the isotherm, my back doesn't get wet at all.

regards :14:

So, the past weekend I did 3 dives with the Mares Isotherm semi-dry(2006 model). Here are some of my observations with the suit. Water temp was around 55. First dive was 82ft, second 65ft and third 40ft.

The good: This is the warmest suit I have ever had. I actually felt too hot at times and wish I was a bit cooler. The suit is definitly more dry than wet. The torso area never got wet, not even slightly humid... Only the wrist and the ankle areas got wet. The arms and legs kept dry for the most part(except for the parts mentioned). Once back on the boat, I took off the top part of the suit, by the time it was time for the second dive, the wrist area were dry.

The bad: The neck seal is very tight, I have a big neck so I wouldn't say that it's a drawback, and probably will get better with time (it is a new suit)... Not an issue underwater though... Donning and doffing is quite a workout and the zipper is hard to open. Also I felt the suit felt very constrictive (not so much under water), but then again I am not used to cold water diving and the thicker equipment that comes with it.

Conclusion: The suit definitly does what it advertise. If you tend to be cold easily, this is definatly the suit for you. The inside of the suit is very comfortable to the skin as well. I have read many threads about the semi-dry being more of a wet-suit than a dry suit and obviously I have never tried any other brand of semi-dry, but as far as I am concerned, the Mares is much more of a dry suit than a wet suit. My only problem with the suit was how hot it was and I am actually looking into getting something lighter. I only wish Mares had a 5mm semi-dry.

somewhereinla, I know what you mean about being very constrictive. My 1st mares (2005) was too small, so it felt very constrictive and hard to move around in. It was too short, my arms are thicker than most, so it was a workout to get my arms in. After getting my arms in and zipped up, it was tough to move my arms around. Also, it was squeezing the boys after a dive. After I gained 10 lbs and the suit shrunk a bit, it became impossible to zip up. With the 2007 model in next size up, all those problems went away.

Even though it's neoprene, a good semidry doesn't have to have a really snug fit like a wetsuit to keep you warm. You may want the next size up.

On those deep quarry drives to 120 ft in the summer, yes it can get too hot at the surface during the surface swim out! If I get too hot, I break the neck seal and let some water in.

The 2005 neck seal wasn't nearly as tight.

The TIZIP should be a lot easier to open than the 2005 model zipper. Are you lubing it with silicone grease and asking your buddy to open it for you?

Question for you isotherm users: The neck seal seems tapered like a drysuit - perhaps not so much. What do you think about trimming it back a bit to loosen it up? I'm tempted to trim mine back some. I have a thick neck and it's darned tight.

I have just started diving with a Scubapro Nova Scotia semi-dry suit.

Right now my major issue with this suit is that air bubbles can get trapped inside while I am dressing. I have tried to bend on my knees and squeeze the suite from my ankles to my neck but I was not very successful. I could not sink. My buddy and I decided to let water inside it, which, obviously made me feel colder straightaway, but at least I was able to stay underwater. However during the dive my buoyancy was all over the place until, it seemed to me, I reached a depth of about 60 feet, where it was easier to control it.

Any tips on how I can release this air in a more efficient way?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom