Semidry choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have just started diving with a Scubapro Nova Scotia semi-dry suit.

Right now my major issue with this suit is that air bubbles can get trapped inside while I am dressing. I have tried to bend on my knees and squeeze the suite from my ankles to my neck but I was not very successful. I could not sink. My buddy and I decided to let water inside it, which, obviously made me feel colder straightaway, but at least I was able to stay underwater. However during the dive my buoyancy was all over the place until, it seemed to me, I reached a depth of about 60 feet, where it was easier to control it.

Any tips on how I can release this air in a more efficient way?

Land is a losing proposition. Instead, once you're in the water, floating on the surface, go vertical for a moment and pull open the neck seal. The water pressure pushing in against your body should force the air out. Just do your best not to let water in.

Yeppers. If I don't burp my isotherm at the surface, it's kinda hard to descend. Good advice.

Last edited:
I have a Aqualung SolAfx 7/8mm semi-dri and I like it alot. It is easy to get off and on even with the built in hood. It has a drysuit style front entry zipper. Keeps me warm on long dives with temps down to about 50 degrees but I did get cold diving lake Superior with temps at 41 degrees. I got cold at those temps but really my hands and feet using Henderson 5mm dryfit boots and gloves got cold before my body did with the Aqualung. I would recommend it for temps down to about 45 to 50 degrees.

Gaffer

Has anyone tried the semi-dry suit at activewetsuits.com/mens7mmhoodedscubadivingwetsui8.html ?

I imagine it's closer to wetsuit for that price.... but even as a wet-suit, is it worth anything? I can't seem to find much on H2Odyssey wetsuits in terms of reviews.

Thanks!

I'm pretty happy with the performance of my Pinnacle Kodiak. Some issues that hopefully have been taken care of. My zipper broke two teeth. I don't know if it's due to the high stretch or if other factors came into to play but I need to stay 60 feet or above to stay warm. The day I went to 80 feet I was much colder than when I didnt go much deeper than 60. Of course I don't know if I was just feeling it more the first time I used it, if water temps were equal or what. Of course it was a headache that bothered me mostly so maybe my air got nicely chilled.

The best way to save money on a wetsuit, is to buy a drysuit from the start. I have a Pinnicale Polar that sits in the closet, and only gets used if I am abalone diving. Otherwise drysuit all the way.

Bingo. Somebody gave me the same advice back when I was shopping for a semi-dry. I ignored it, and now a couple years of diving later, I have a beautiful Xcel semi-dry collecting dust in the closet

Long dives? Multiple dives? Diving when the air temp starts to drop? The Xcel is a great suit; it just didn't keep me warm enough. Once I went dry, I enjoyed my dives more, and so dove more, and so enjoyed my dives more... It's a virtuous cycle.

I am beginning to think that buying the Scuba Pro Nova Scotia semi-dry suit was a waste of money. My decision to go for a semi-dry was determined by two factors: I could not afford a dry suit and I heard a lot of positive comments from other divers about the suit.

Well, I guess for some reasons it does not keep me as warm as the other folks. I noticed that that at 84 feet (my deepest dive so far) it got worse. My feet and hands always get cold no matter the depth, especially the feet. I tried to wear thick merino wool socks but they do not work, I am thinking about buying some neoprene socks to see if they can help me to keep my feet warmer. I can handle to dive around 60 feet for about 40 minutes (my maximum time so far) and probably 30/20 minutes further down. I have to put up with the cold until I have enough money to buy a dry suit. In the meantime I am going to experiment and add the top of a farmer's John wet suit to see if it makes a difference...Wish me good luck!

I still cannot release the air inside the suit even if I do it in the water so I am giving up! I am trying to counter-balance the added buoyancy by adding some more weight (does it make sense?). Eventually after several attempts I was able to reach a balance with an 80 aluminum tank (the only kind of tanks available for rent in a shop in Victoria, BC). Now I have to start all over again with a 72 steel tank (the kind of cylinder that I can rent from my local dive shop)...

Santa pazienza! (Holy patience!)

I noticed that that at 84 feet (my deepest dive so far) it got worse. My feet and hands always get cold no matter the depth, especially the feet. I tried to wear thick merino wool socks but they do not work, I am thinking about buying some neoprene socks to see if they can help me to keep my feet warmer. I can handle to dive around 60 feet for about 40 minutes (my maximum time so far) and probably 30/20 minutes further down. I have to put up with the cold until I have enough money to buy a dry suit. In the meantime I am going to experiment and add the top of a farmer's John wet suit to see if it makes a difference...Wish me good luck!

How cold is the water @ 84 feet?

Also, your wetsuit/semidry won't help much to keep your hands and feet warm. Have you tried using thicker gloves/booties?

How cold is the water @ 84 feet?

Also, your wetsuit/semidry won't help much to keep your hands and feet warm. Have you tried using thicker gloves/booties?

My buddy's computer recorded a bottom temperature of 50F at 81 Ft. We spent about 4 minutes around 80Ft. I felt the drop of temperature well before reaching that depth.

I have tried several kind of gloves and the ones the fit me better have the disadvantage of not keeping my hands that warm after all. I can handle my hands being cold for the time being until I find something better.

Regarding my feet, I would like to try thin neoprene socks to wear inside the boots. If I get thicker boots I won't be able to wear the fins that I like to use (force fins that I did not have to buy).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom