Sense of humour ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very funny Joe..... :p Or is that humourous?? LOL

Perhaps the reason many come across as too serious stems from the type of diving they do. For me and those I dive with, the dives we do are conducted in a pretty serious nature. It's not a joke down there when you're nearing 200' in 38F water. There isn't much playing around, and there's not much room for error. Believe it or not, we find this type of diving enjoyable :loopy:. DIR helps eliminate potential problems down there by us being equiped and configured identically with simple top quality gear, and being in the same frame of mind. IMO, DIR cuts out a big portion of the risk pie graph for us.
Though I try to keep my rhetoric civil, I believe I am often guilty from expressing opinions from the point of view of deep cold water wreck diving. DIR divers tend to be more on the technical side of diving, and I suspect their opinions stem from their their point of view. Personally, whether I'm in a wreck at 185' or a warm 60' reef dive, I take the diving pretty seriously as a matter of habit. I always feel as though I have an unbreakable ceiling above my head (can't help it). Most of the recreational divers have a very different point of view as their type of diving probably won't kill them unless they really, really screw up. Technical divers don't have that luxury, and therefore, their brains get wired differently.

There's my take on the subject.

Mike

Lost and Found Yooper and any others who care to read this,

I guess what folks feel strange about is being lectured to as if there were only one way to do things no matter what! And I am just a vanilla rec diver, but when I buy gear, maintain gear, get ready to dive, and dive I am all business. Because, and this is stating the obvious, warm water at 100' can kill you just as dead as cold water at 200'.

The Quakers have this wonderful expression, "Gentle Persuasion", which I think we could all take to heart. No need to blast someone out of the water to convince them. Just tell them what you think and why and let them digest it. Coming to a conclusion oneself is so much more satisfying than having it shoved down one's throat.

And, finally, it is very difficult to do much shoving using only electrons over the net.

Joe(wr)

I absolutely agree with that. You're also right that dead is dead regardless of depth and temperature. The only difference is the room for error that's allowed. You're only a breath (literally) away from kissin' the reaper on the deeper dives done up here, but cavers have much less room for error than even we do. You'd have to work at getting killed on a 100' recreational tropical reef dive by comparison.
Anyway, I like civility in the discussions. I think a lot more learning occurs that way.

Take care.

Mike

KNOCK KNOCK..

On second thought... I don't think it would be appropriate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom