Sentenced to Death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Oeffff.... I can't see the American military reacting understandably to a Muslim soldier losing it.....

A couple of thoughts go through my mind:

Panic at the thought of dying (who can't relate to that?)

Unstable individual

Who put this guy there and why was he alone?

Lucky that he lived long enough to be tried

If I were on the receiving end of that attack it would have ended with me drinking his blood. (in that sense I understand the verdict).

What could motivate someone to do something like that? It's being rationalized as hate but that's not explaining it in my mind.

R..

For what its worth, i believe his being Muslim had little to do with the verdict. He could have been Catholic, Jewish, Buddhist, etc ... he killed his fellow troops with little apparent cause, he was going down regardless of his religious affiliation.

I'd like a shot myself, if were taking turns....

The lowest form of human. When you turn on those that rely on you for their lives a bullet is the kindest fate that he should have.

Kayla:
I'd like a shot myself, if were taking turns....
Sorry Kayla, I think he will be the only one getting a shot or being shot. :wink:

TCDiver1:
For what its worth, i believe his being Muslim had little to do with the verdict. He could have been Catholic, Jewish, Buddhist, etc ... he killed his fellow troops with little apparent cause, he was going down regardless of his religious affiliation.

Yeah, you're probably right but I don't suspect it helped him much either.

Either way it's clear that a military (regardless of circumstances, religion or nationality) can't tolerate stuff like this. If the penalty for murder in your county is dying then that's that, pretty much. He cooked his own egg. Now he needs to eat it.

Interestingly, a great many British and Canadian GI-s during WWI were shot in the back by their own officers who drove them out of the trenches with their pistols.

I don't recall hearing that any of those officers were ever convicted of a crime. Does that mean that we're moving ahead in terms of expectations and consequences or that GI's are still taking the stick up the proverbial patoosh for things that aren't well managed....

R..

dlndavid:
Sorry Kayla, I think he will be the only one getting a shot or being shot. :wink:

LOL. Well, I sppose thats the way it should be... and for the record, thats not how I meant it LOL.

Diver0001:
Interestingly, a great many British and Canadian GI-s during WWI were shot in the back by their own officers who drove them out of the trenches with their pistols.

I don't recall hearing that any of those officers were ever convicted of a crime. Does that mean that we're moving ahead in terms of expectations and consequences or that GI's are still taking the stick up the proverbial patoosh for things that aren't well managed....

R..

This seems hard to believe, that commanders would force their own out of the trenches just to shoot them in the back? To what purpose would this be?
But if they were ordered out of the trench to fight and did not, they have disobeyed an order, and the military can not operate if the soldiers disobey orders.

dlndavid:
This seems hard to believe, that commanders would force their own out of the trenches just to shoot them in the back? To what purpose would this be?
But if they were ordered out of the trench to fight and did not, they have disobeyed an order, and the military can not operate if the soldiers disobey orders.

No, that's not quite right.......shooting them in the back was how they forced them out of the trenches. Considering the chances for survival could you blame them?

There's a good book from a Canadian author (Harrison IIRC) called "Generals Die in Bed". It may not relate to the behavior of modern armies but it's a good read.

R..

DMP:
Ummm we have not changed the books as far as punishment goes. We still can order a reduced ration imposement, hanging and, firing squads....

A long time ago when I was in the Navy the captain of a naval warship could indeed order anyone to confinement on reduced rations (bread and water, actually). But anything more severe required a trial by court martial ashore.

Thanks for the update, on the UCMJ not having changed.

It will be interesting to see whether a firing squad is then actually used.

Since the prisoner is not a civilian, I doubt that he would be elligible for lethal injection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom