Service issues at LDS for used equip or bought elsewhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishLips

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new at this, but just starting to look at purchasing my own equipment.

I understand that you need to have regulators serviced every year, is that true for BCs too? If I buy online (from an authorized dealer) will I be able get service from a local dealer? Or what if I buy from LDS, but then need service somewhere else? Or what if I buy a used piece of equipment? Will I be able to get service at all?

I've read about gray market items and problems with warranty, so I want to stear clear of that. I'm more concerned about getting regular maintenance and service.

Thanks, fishlips

It just happens that I get my Conshelf SE3 regulator serviced at the FL LDS where I purchased it. However, the LDS I use in WI can also service the brand,and I would have no problem with it. In fact, thay will probably service my vintage Conshelf XII if I decide to do some serious Midwest diving.

After the warranty runs out, you pay anywhere you go.

FishLips:
Hi everyone,

I'm new at this, but just starting to look at purchasing my own equipment.

I understand that you need to have regulators serviced every year, is that true for BCs too? If I buy online (from an authorized dealer) will I be able get service from a local dealer? Or what if I buy from LDS, but then need service somewhere else? Or what if I buy a used piece of equipment? Will I be able to get service at all?

I've read about gray market items and problems with warranty, so I want to stear clear of that. I'm more concerned about getting regular maintenance and service.

Thanks, fishlips

A couple of issues here.

1. Yes, you should have your BC serviced/checked every year. You should also routinely check every piece of equipment. Mask, fins, straps, lights (inside & out), dive skin, wetsuit, clips, knife, etc.

2. If you buy a reg online, of course you can have it serviced anywhere in the world by an authorized technician. Whether or not it is covered by warranty is another issue. Buying online can void or invalidate the manufacturers warranty. If you buy online, you may not get the free parts and labor under warranty when you take it in for service or adjustment.

3. Buying new from an LDS or authorized dealer ensures that you will receive the warranty coverage that comes from the manufacturer.

4. Buying used from an LDS can get interesting. Some LDS's will continue to recognize and honor the manufacturers warranty as long as you return to them for service. This can save substantially on cost both up front (purchase) and long term (anual service). Others will sell you used equipment then bend you over at service time.

It's best to make a list of questions and concerns then talk to your LDS (or more than one). Be honest and open. Most will work with you in hopes of gaining future sales and referrals.

My recommendation? Buy the important items at the LDS or an authorized dealer. Regulator definately. Having the ability for any service tech to look up your regs serial # to verify what you have to pay for and what you don't is worth it. Especially if your hundreds or thousands of miles from home, it needs service to continue diving, and you need to send it to some online place to get warranty work done?

If you're looking at Aqualung/Seaquest, PM me.

First thing to do is determine which gear you want, then see if it can be sold on line with warranty. For example, you cannot buy on line and get warranty for Seaquest, Aqualung, Suunto, Scubapro, Oceanic, Apeks and a few others...

For any brand you're looking at - get with an authorized dealer, and if not sure - call up the manufacturer and get all the rules in advance so you have no surprises later.

Then each store and or on line dealer will have their own rules, like if a reg is purchased from us - we do service for $39.95 and parts are free for life if serviced annually.. So people ship us their regs, then we ship them back out 2-3 days later.

Other shops have specials like that - but in Dallas Metroplex alone, we have had 7 shops close in the last 5 years, so a local shops "extended warranty" may not carry much value... so make sure you're covered with the manufacturer as well.

Wherever you buy it, make sure you can get it serviced locally by a dealer who appears like they will both continue to be around and will continue to carry that particular dealership.

If you buy used, mkae sure the model you are buying is still currently supported. USD Divers/Aqualung and Scubapro are two companies that still support almost every regulator they have sold.

Some companies have a bad habit of discontinuing parts support after 5 years or so and Dacor (recently acquired by Mares) currently seems to be in the process of discontinuing parts for older regs as existing stocks are depleted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom