Service or Replace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KentFrazier

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a set of Oceanic Omega II regulators (1st stage and two (2) 2nd stages) that I purchased in April 1988. I'm not sure of their last service date, but they have been in storage for the last ten years.

Would it be more cost effective to have them serviced (I know the hoses need replacement) or buy new regulators?

I know that I want to convert them to a hogarthian setup.

If you like them, then I would service them. The service is going to be in the $100-150 range unless there is something major wrong which is not likely. Odds are the hoses are OK too unless you are changing them to meet DIR requirements, in that case you are going to change them even if you buy a new reg.

Oceanic regulators are not fit for the DIR diving protocals. Mail them immedeately to me for disposal before you hurt yourself and contact your nearest LDS to get the appropreate equipment that is USN approved for deep and cold water diving. :D

I'm all for keeping older gear running but (on a strictly financial level) once you cost in hose/mouthpiece replacement I think you'd be better off (in the long-run) with a new HOG, Apeks XTX 20, Aqualung LX or Zeagle Envoy.

Hoses are about $20-25 each and 2 mouthpieces $15 or so.

If you get a full service for $150 and change all the hoses and mouthpieces it's now cost you $250.

.....btw I bet you could get $100 if you were to sell the 1st and 2nd stages.
There's at least one regular here that has an unhealthy fetish with Omega's:wink:.

I would not expect hoses to be bad just because they are 20+ years old.

I love Omega II's. I thought I had cornered the world's market by buying up as many as I could find on eBay plus the two complete sets I had from '88.

When I wanted to get some serviced, I sent them clear across the country to Phil Ellis at Dive Sports (Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment) His shop did a magnificent job.

I have a modified double hose regulator (Phoenix nozzle provides LP ports) for which it seemed I should have an octo. So, the octo is an Omega II second stage.

I use one set of Omega II second stages with a CDX-5 first stage to get the sealed diaphragm for cold water use.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom