Setting you Dive Computer to EAN mode 21%

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly what was said above. If your Suunto is in air mode and then you decide to do a 2nd dive with Nitrox, you can't. By leaving it in Nitrox mode all the time you just change the %.
You can only change modes when NO-FLY time has zeroed.

Are you guys sure you don't have that bass ackwards?? I'm not sure about suunto, but with the Aeris, Oceanic, Genesis, Sherwood, etc... You can do an air dive, then go straight to nitrox. You just can't do Nitrox and go back to air. The reason being, as someone pointed out, the computer only tracks your O2 clock in Nitrox mode. Since you did a nitrox dive, you've been exposed to higher levels of O2 and it won't let you put it back into air mode... only 21% nitrox... that way it keeps counting oxygen.

Then depending on the computer, the above have a feature called FO2 50 which can be toggled off and on. When on, it will default a dive following a nitrox dive to 21% for the O2 for calculating NDL and 50% O2 for PO2 calculations. This is to keep you safe if you forget to reset before the next dive. If you toggle that feature off, it will default to the same mix as previous.

scubatoys:
Are you guys sure you don't have that bass ackwards?? I'm not sure about suunto, but with the Aeris, Oceanic, Genesis, Sherwood, etc... You can do an air dive, then go straight to nitrox.

Definately not the case with the Stinger. Back in the days when I occasionally had air in one tank, nitrox in the other, I -always- dove the air first.

It's possible it doesn't let you go the other way also... I'm not sure though.

scubatoys:
Are you guys sure you don't have that bass ackwards?? I'm not sure about suunto, but with the Aeris, Oceanic, Genesis, Sherwood, etc... You can do an air dive, then go straight to nitrox. You just can't do Nitrox and go back to air. The reason being, as someone pointed out, the computer only tracks your O2 clock in Nitrox mode. Since you did a nitrox dive, you've been exposed to higher levels of O2 and it won't let you put it back into air mode... only 21% nitrox... that way it keeps counting oxygen.

Then depending on the computer, the above have a feature called FO2 50 which can be toggled off and on. When on, it will default a dive following a nitrox dive to 21% for the O2 for calculating NDL and 50% O2 for PO2 calculations. This is to keep you safe if you forget to reset before the next dive. If you toggle that feature off, it will default to the same mix as previous.

On the Suunto Vyper you cannot switch modes once you have done one dive in either Air or Nitrox... until the 48 hours as mentioned above. At least this is how my older Vyper works. That's why I leave mine on Nitrox all the time, so I don't forget to change the mode back. Its just easier to change the percentage and not worry about the mode.

Jennifer

sapphire:
On the Suunto Vyper you cannot switch modes once you have done one dive in either Air or Nitrox... until the 48 hours as mentioned above. At least this is how my older Vyper works. That's why I leave mine on Nitrox all the time, so I don't forget to change the mode back. Its just easier to change the percentage and not worry about the mode.

I know my Stinger likes to reset the o2 percentage to 21% after some strange amount of time [right about a surface interval length]. It's one of those things that burns you -only- once. Of course I get nervous when I check it before my second dive and it's not reset. Who knows if it'll reset sometime in the next 5 minutes before I hit the water.

sapphire:

Jennifer

Wow... and all this time I thought I didn't like Suunto's just because they were distributed by a French company and they had an ultra conservative algorithm! :wink:

pete340:
Uniformity. Every time I put my computer on my wrist I set the O2 percentage. Makes it less likely that I'll forget to do it.

I like this. It's a good idea. I dive with my Suunto in EAN mode all the time, more out of laziness. But, this idea makes sense in that I'm always cognizant of my mix on a given dive, 21% or not.

sapphire:

Jennifer

It isn't 48 hours, it's NO-FLY TIME ZEROED. May be much less than 48 hours. I've never seen my no-fly time above 24 hours.

None of you mentioned Uwatec which - at least mine - doesn't have "air" as such. It simply has EAN21. So I don't switch from AIR to EAN21, because I can't switch something I don't have :p
Mania

miketsp:
It isn't 48 hours, it's NO-FLY TIME ZEROED. May be much less than 48 hours. I've never seen my no-fly time above 24 hours.

This is directly from the Vyper manual... "NOTE! After a dive, the no-flying time is always set to 48 hours. During that period it is not possible to change the dive computer mode." That's where I got the 48 hours from, and I have actually run into this as a problem on a trip... which is why I leave it set in Nitrox now.

cheers,

Jennifer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom