Setting you Dive Computer to EAN mode 21%

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp:
It isn't 48 hours, it's NO-FLY TIME ZEROED. May be much less than 48 hours. I've never seen my no-fly time above 24 hours.

The Stinger gives a no fly time that is vary variable. I've seen it it the 12 hour range, and I've seen it in the 36 hour range. When it's in gauge mode, it gives 48 hours.

ShakaZulu:
Are there any benefits to setting your dive computer to EAN mode (21%), when diving on AIR?

One other little thing that nobody has noted so far regarding Suunto computers is that their algorithm, when in Nitrox mode, calculates your OTU based on the input O2 percentage +1. That is to say if you set it for EAN 21, it calculates your N2 loading assuminng 79% N2 and calculates your O2 loading assuming 22 % O2, that is why with Suunto computers you always input fractional mixes to the next lower percent (ex. 32.8% O2 should be entered as 32%, not 33%). I don't think that this makes much difference in terms of how you dive it, but the computer calculates things differently for Air vs. EAN 21.

Cam

sapphire:
This is directly from the Vyper manual... "NOTE! After a dive, the no-flying time is always set to 48 hours. During that period it is not possible to change the dive computer mode." That's where I got the 48 hours from, and I have actually run into this as a problem on a trip... which is why I leave it set in Nitrox now.

cheers,

Jennifer
That's only if it's set to Gauge Mode first.
The manual says

3.5.3. Flying after Diving
(snip)
The no-flying time is always at least 12 hours or equivalent to the so-called desaturation time (if longer than 12 hours). In the permanent Error Mode and GAUGE Mode the no-flying time is 48 hours.

Kim:
That's only if it's set to Gauge Mode first.
The manual says

3.5.3. Flying after Diving
(snip)
The no-flying time is always at least 12 hours or equivalent to the so-called desaturation time (if longer than 12 hours). In the permanent Error Mode and GAUGE Mode the no-flying time is 48 hours.

Thanks for the clarification... another area where the manual is less than clear, by stating the 48 hours without specifying that is gauge or error mode only...

Spectre:
The Stinger gives a no fly time that is vary variable. I've seen it it the 12 hour range, and I've seen it in the 36 hour range. When it's in gauge mode, it gives 48 hours.
It will start at 12 after one dive, you do a second and it bumps to 24 hours, more and it keeps edging up. Do a messed up profile or bump it into deco and it will push further. I havent had it in guage mode yet, but i am sure i will one of these days :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom