Setup for beginner...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an instructor, it drives me nuts trying to find a BC that will comfortably fit most women. There are just too many variables when it comes to women. I normally tell new divers to just go with what works for them. I'll tell you the same thing. Try anything and everything on, especially with your body shape I think you'll find the options might be slightly more limited. If you're on a budget, you might want to take a good look at your options with a backplate setup. I'm not one who tries to push that on everyone, but the harness minus all of the pockets and padding and that junk is a lot more adjustable. And you can get a good, comfortable BP/W setup cheaper than I think you'll find looking at some of these other BCs.

Regulator, as long as you stick with the major brands out there, you really can't go wrong, especially if you're sticking to shallow depths in warm water. I've dove I don't know how many different regs by more manufacturers than I can even remember and I've never found one that didn't do the job I wanted it to do. The biggest thing to look for is making sure whatever you buy can be easily serviced locally. I have a bunch of Beuchat regulators that I love but I have to pay extra to have them serviced because there are no Beuchat dealers around me.

The mask, all I'll say is go to your LDS and try on every single mask they have. Do not settle for "fits ok" or "kinda comfortable" because after about 45 minutes that kinda comfortable is going to become "oh my God I am hating this mask". If you ask me the comfort and fit of a mask is what will make or break a dive. I can handle uncomfortable anything else, but if that mask hurts or leaks, the dive just sucks.

Fins, I'd go open heel, that's just me. I like wearing booties so I'm not slipping around on a boat or picking up the various foot ailments that everyone else who is walking around the deck barefoot might be carrying. Maybe that's just me, I've always been the dork that will wear my running shoes into the shower at the gym if I forget my sandals. :D As for what kind, that's up to you. Just don't go out and get some massive, 15 foot long, 8 foot wide fins that wear you out on the first kick. I'd say that's the biggest mistake I see is people showing up for class with fins that aren't right for them.

Getting it all for under $500 could be a trick, good luck with that. You may want to check in Goodwill stores, pawn shops, and places like Play it Again Sports. Just have anything you buy checked out by a shop before you use it.

Anyway, that's just my two cents on the thing.

We will require photos :wink:

Ugh...

Howdy,

From one female diver to another, I had a Cressi Sub BC and I didn't like it. Zeagle makes the Zena which is cut specifically for women...a very nice BCD if you ask me, but I don't know if you can get it on Ebay along with your other stuff for under $500. Sherwood makes excellent regs and gauges that can take a beating. Fins and masks are definitely something you need to research and fit on your own.

If you need any other help, feel free to PM me. I'm an Ebay pro :wink:.

I owned an expensive BCD and a cheapo BCD and than got a back plate and wing. I dont want to sound pushy but its true, they make trim easier, they are more stable and more comfortable and really not much $$$.

If you dont care about brands look for an aluminum hammerhead brand back plate and a lightweight 2 piece single tank adapter. Get the plate without the ugly handles, trust me. here is a link. Hammerhead Scuba - Hammerhead II Backplate

The sell the plate with a harness kit, its super simple and the i piece webbing harness is the most dependable although it takes a couple dives to figure out how to get in and out of it. As you are a women with a large bust I would tell you to talk to the other ladies about chest straps, I'd bet they could convince you that you wont need one.

That plate sells for $80 and you can get all the harness stuff in a kit for $47.50 but I would go to Scuba equipment, Dive gear, reefscuba.com, Manufacturer of scuba diving equipment. Buy brass hardware, stainless steel hardware, surgical tubing, latex surgical tubing, bungee cord, parachute cord, Waterborne watch bands, SEACURE mouthpieces, velcro and buy all the parts myself for about $35-$40

Total cost for backplate, harness, and single tank adapter >/=$130

Now you will need a wing, lots of companies make them but I am partial to the OMS 32lb lift wing, you wont need that much lift likely but its a really nice durable wing. Shop around though, expect to pay upwards of $200 for a good wing from the big companies like OMS, dive rite, Oxycheq, and hollis, etc.

If you got the wing I have you would spend $279

That means your entire BCD cost $409 but if you want shoulder pads, pockets, and cam bands look at adding at least another $50-100.

So your already over budget with just your BCD. I have never been a budget person myself and I refuse to use or recommend any products from Mares, Aeris, or Cressi so I had no choice but to spend what I spend... Thats why I have over $20,000.00 in dive gear.

Now the next thing is a good set of fins and a mask, you dont need a snorkle but if you want one just get a plain J tube and tay away from those fancy dry snorkels. I dont use a snorkel but a snorkel wont do any good in a cave or a wreck.

I also have owned a variety of masks including the full face versions. Most masks will do but the only one I know of that comes with a gaurantee it will fit is the dive rite mask found here. Dive Rite Masks with Optional Vision-Correcting Lenses

I know its not pretty but you will thank me cause you wont see crap off to the side which actually isn't there. Thats the most annoying thing for me and the reason I dont buy masks with clear skirts or side windows, drove me nuts. They reflect things from all angles and can only be enjoyed while using mind altering substances I assume.

Fins, well I wont get into fins much but they all have their purpose and specific intended use. If all your even gonna do is warm water open water stuff get a pair of apollo split fins with spring straps. You can flutter kick and frog kick with them and they are far more comfortable for open water use. In tech diving its different and I learned the hard way that splits dont work the best for that.

Spring straps are the next best thing since sliced bread just trust me, I'm sure others will chime in here and agree, you dont know what your missing until you get springs.

Obviously I am saying avoid full foot fins, that way you have booties for use on the boat or on the rocks or whatever. Booties are nice but I would go el-cheapo cause once they start to stink its nearly impossible to clean out so I just throw them after 100-150 dives.

The next issue is regs. Now I say screw the octo, you wont need it.... ever and if you do need the octo there is a bigger problem at hand. There are other much more sound options (pony, H-valve, etc). If you want an octo anyway just buy an integrated inflater so you eliminate 1 hose.

I also dont understand why people get el-cheapo regs for their primary use. Get something good. Scubapro, diverite, OMS, salvo, etc.

I hope this helps, if not it should stimulate some highly opinionated discussion that should bennifit you

if you have any desire for a mares journey size m, pm me. has 22 dives, bought for about $350, will sell for $200.

You really will not have any time for scuba over the next decade.

For those very rare chances that you might get, you would be better off just renting all of your gear for that weekend.

For relaxation, a 3 mm wetsuit, fins, mask, snorkel, booties, and weight belt would be your best purchases, for now.

The Stiletto is the biggest seller I think and the make a women's model of it of course I can't remember the name. Has the chest srap too. They also make another womens model that I can't remember the name of.

The Zeagle women's models are the Zena and the LaZer. I think that of the two the LaZer might be your best choice, but that's your personal choice, not anyone else's.

Haha- I don't mind all of the playful photo banter-I'd post a dive pic, but the 7mm plus hood combo doesn't do much for my figure! Haha! Anyways, thanks for the well wishes- I'll be at the University of Toledo College of Medicine- close to Lake Erie, but I'm not one much for cold water diving (didn't have a choice when I got certified in October in Ohio). Thanks for all of the advice! Keep it coming.

You really will not have any time for scuba over the next decade.

For those very rare chances that you might get, you would be better off just renting all of your gear for that weekend.

For relaxation, a 3 mm wetsuit, fins, mask, snorkel, booties, and weight belt would be your best purchases, for now.

Respectfully, I disagree with nereas. I'm a resident now, and while time is scare, I really enjoy using my vacations to dive and catch up on sleep. True, med school and residency may not let you dive every weekend, but they have certainly helped me appreciate my time to dive. Plus, you will find yourself with random vacation dates which don't necessarily correlate with anyone else's schedule -- perfect chance to go diving.

Congratulations! I can't speak to any of the BC options but I hope you won't let med school and residency keep you from diving.

Having gone through med school, I would agree that there WILL be time. Actually, one of my semi-regular buddies is a med student, and we've dived together through his first and second years. When you get to the clinical rotations, time disappears except for breaks, but there are still breaks. It's quite reasonable to expect to get a couple of dive trips in a year, if funds permit.

As a 5'4" busty woman, I'd second the recommendation for a backplate and wing. The harness is infinitely adjustable, so you can get the fit just right. If you cross the straps of the harness behind your head, there's no need for a chest strap, so nothing is tight or compressive across your front, which is nice.

If all you are going to do is tropical diving, you can work with a lightweight (aluminum or Kydex) backplate. Deep Sea Supply makes a Kydex plate that has a kind of grommet in the slots for the waist strap, so that it keeps tension on the strap and reduces wear. It also obviates the need for a triglide there.

I started with an Aqualung Titan regulator setup, and I still think it was an excellent, cost-effective choice.

I bought a Scubapro 3 mil wetsuit, which fit me well, and I use X-shorts over the top of it to give me storage for the little stuff one ends up wanting to carry.

Masks are intensely personal, because proper fit is critical, and we all have different faces. I would recommend going to several dive shops, if you have access to them, and trying a bunch of masks on until you find one that really seems to sit well on your face.

Unless you are extremely lucky in shopping used gear, you will not be able to put together a full set of diving equipment for under $500.

Having gone through med school, I would agree that there WILL be time. Actually, one of my semi-regular buddies is a med student, and we've dived together through his first and second years. When you get to the clinical rotations, time disappears except for breaks, but there are still breaks. It's quite reasonable to expect to get a couple of dive trips in a year, if funds permit...

A good scuba diver, however, has quality gear, and dives monthly.

Not just once or twice a year.

Therefore I maintain that while in grad school or med school, this is not the time to begin a scuba diving sport. Wait at least until you graduate.

Back
Top Bottom