Setup for beginner...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree that to be a "good" dive you have to dive monthly. We all do our best, but you don't have to dive often to be a good diver.

Check out the Mares Kaila, or Alikaii for back-inflate. They were very popular at the LDS I worked at over summer.

A good scuba diver, however, has quality gear, and dives monthly.

Not just once or twice a year.

Therefore I maintain that while in grad school or med school, this is not the time to begin a scuba diving sport. Wait at least until you graduate.

Oh come on, give her a break...

Don't listen to this nonsense, start diving when you want to and don't worry about whether or not you confirm so someone's arbitrary view about what makes a "good" diver. Besides, you'll probably be working yourself pretty hard at school, you'll need some nice breaks.

As far as money goes, just waltz into any dive shop and tell them "I'm going to be a doctor, and I want to start diving. I'll need a full set of gear..." and watch as they start doing handsprings across the floor while offering you unlimited credit. :D

As far as a serious recommendation goes, first buy a wetsuit that fits you perfectly, and follow TS&M's advice about the BP/W set up for tropical diving. The fewer straps and less padding, the better. You need to understand that the way a BC fits/feels underwater is nothing like the way it seems on land, particularly in a dive shop.

The reg could be lots of things, zeagle envoy, aqualung titan, SP MK2/R190, among many others. They all work fine. It's best if you can get it serviced where you are diving in case something comes up on a trip. For the caribbean, this favors mares, oddly enough. But aqualung and SP have shops and parts available almost anywhere as well.

A good scuba diver, however, has quality gear, and dives monthly.

Sorry, but I don't think this is correct. I think it is harder to become a "good" scuba diver unless you dive at least a few times a year, and more diving is preferable. Owning your own equipment makes it easier to be a "good" scuba diver, but isn't necessary.

I think owning your own mask, fins and maybe a BC that fit are pretty important. I think you should have your own wetsuit if you will be using one. If you are an easy-to-fit size, then a rental BC should work fine, but if you are hard to fit, buy one. A cheap one is fine for now, whether back inflate or jacket style. You don't need to sink hundreds of dollars into a BP. If you want one later, get one.

It is certainly nice to own your reg, but unnecessary and if diving only a couple times a year, you will spend too much servicing it for the limited use it will get.

I think there is an argument to be made that a "good" scuba diver can adjust to the gear at hand. If you can only dive "well" with your custom-sized, hand-picked gear, maybe you aren't as good as you think. I have seen "good" divers who can put my skills to shame in whatever gear is handy at the moment, including ratty, mismatched fins, a rental BC and a backup mask.

Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom