Severe Allergy- want to wear gloves in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I understand that gloves are not permitted while diving in Cozumel - except for medical reasons. I have a life threatening allergy to shellfish, and would like to contact persons whom can give permission in Coz. Can anyone here help me.
I am only looking at using them on ascent and descent not during the whole dive- if required to use a downline, and safety stop.

Thank you for your time I appreciate it..

Are you diving with a certain dive comp. If so I would call them. Also, l would tasks any paperwork stating you have a severe allergy to shellfish as proof.

Just speaking from my own personal experience...I've dived Coz several times and no one's ever said boo to me about my gloves. Again, only my personal experience, but I've never met a dive op in Mexico that enforced any rules at all. Since the Lionfish invasion, many dive ops now carry Hawaiian sling spears in the marine parks as well. I've never been asked in Mexico for a log book, cert card or proof that I dived within the past year.

Tip your dive guide...you'll have no problems.

If you just use them on the down line and then stow them, nobody should care.

Problems arise when divers "just wear them and not touch anything", which results in a grab-o-rama which they always deny.

The same result of not touching can be achieved with 2' of paracord. No gloves, no stowage, cheap. Tie it in a loop, cinch it in the down line.

With medical excuses come medical arguments. A piece of line will do.

You do not need gloves if you do not touch. The diving is all drift and generally the dive guides run the floats in Cozumel.

My observation is that people wearing gloves on reef do so to touch and grab, wrecks are different of course and permenant lines that carry growth.

N

Reactions: Doc
if you really want to use gloves then the solution around that is tuck your gloves in your bcd and then put them on underwater ... just saying

Have done over 100 dives in Cozumel, never seen a anchor line to go down, as anchor points to best of my knowledge are not allowed anywhere in the sanctuary which is where almost all diving is done by ops. So you shouldn't have an issue or need gloves. Don't touch anything including the bottom. You will back roll or giant leap depending on boat, and then descend to above the bottom and then surface by your op and bob on surface until boat comes to pick you up. The only thing you should be touching is the ladder of the boat.

Back
Top Bottom