Severe Allergy- want to wear gloves in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can have gloves, just not in specific protected areas. You'd know you are diving in the protected area because on the boat you are issued a band that goes on your wrist, it is like a ticket, op must issue. This means you are diving in waters that require a small fee paid to government with this "ticket".

If you are not given this plasticy-paper band, you can have gloves and knife.

You can bring medical one time use gloves. To most they will look transparent but will give some protection.

I have dived many sites through the Mayan Riviera including Cancun, Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmin and Coz. I wore my gloves on each dive and no one has ever said boo to me about it.

I've had this argument on SB before so here goes... gloves are part of your "exposure suit" which is what a wet suit, or a dry suit for that matter, is. I have personally been stung by marine invertebrates in the water column. I have seen plenty of fire coral on anchor lines and permanent moorings at dive sites throughout the Caribbean. These are frequently used for safety stops.

Just to show you how silly the argument is that you shouldn't wear gloves because these are sensitive protected areas is, think about this: the only reason you can make that argument is that these are warm water locations. No one would be stupid enough to insist you take you gloves off in the Galapagos Islands or in the kelp forests of California (both highly sensitive ecosystems) because the water is COLD. They just have to trust you not to destroy things with your gloved hand.

Aside from the Cayman Islands, where they are particular a-holes about the gloves business, I have never been to a dive destination where, at least after a brief chat with the dive guide where you assure them you don't intend to touch anything an accommodation cannot to arranged. And if you can't, put the gloves in your BC pocket, put 'em on after you splash and take 'em off before you get back on the boat.

Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom