Seyvlor Diveyak owners -- question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterthewolf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Sevylor 2 seater diveyak owners, would you please answer a few questions?

First, if you own the yellow/white #2020 two seater, what's your experience:
1. Are the sides high enough when sitting to have to hunch up our elbows/shoulders, or can you have a nice low relaxed stroke? (the black #5696, which I have seen, is flat, so not an issue as a 'sit-on' but no motor capability).
2. Have you found that 3.5hp motor all the merchants talk about but don't have? They say a 3.5hp would do about 15mph, and I'd settle for half that.
3. Electric motor: I'd really prefer an electric motor for the quiet and no fumes cruise experience. Who has electric? So far, I've only seen 'trolling' motors, which are only a few mph, and very low distance range. Anyone have a good one? Again, if I had some range, I wouldn't care if the thing wasn't really fast.
4. About motor pricing, I'd prefer an inexpensive one as I just replaced ALL of my scuba gear, yahoo!

Ok- finally, you folks with 2 seater black #5696's, other than no motor, do you LOVE it? Would you convince me to go hard shell and give up the fold-in-trunk-go-anywhere fantasy?
Thanks!

Still deciding between diveyak and a hard shell, but if this helps anyone, I've gotten this far: Minn-kota makes a salt water electric trolling motor that could push a 2020- two seater diveyak with about 500 pounds between 10 and 14mph for nearly 3 hours, for cost of deep cycle battery ($100) and motor ($300). Anyone out there had experience with the 2020 diveyak paddling at all?

I love the two seat 5696. I have not been using it that much this year due to family problems. Do a search of diveyak on the board and you will find some of my posts. I do some diveyaking on the rivers and lakes around here for exercise. Now I have used it a couple of times for actual diving because my dive partner does not like getting out in the ocean to far on it. You know things that go bumb and have fins, he worries a lot so I do not push. Now I will say that the inflatables will not be able to keep up with the hard shell ones but I am not in a rush to get any where. Also if you think that you will stay dry on it not but I do not care because either I am diving or just playing on it. It is very sturdy also, I used it to surf the waves in Florida when a hurricane was close. Was surfing 4 to 6 ft waves and having a blast on it riding them in. I will also tell you go out and get you a personal paddle not the ones they sell with the yak. Hope this helps out, anymore questions?

I seriously doubt that an electric trolling motor is going to push that inflatable at 15MPH. Most divers who use kayaks use hard shell sit on tops like Ocean Kayak brand and Cobra brand. N

Back
Top Bottom