shallow-dive wait-time before flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some show a DESAT time, meaning the slowest compartments in the model have emptied out. Some show a TIME BEFORE FLY, which may be either a DESAT time or a simple 24h clock. Some show both.

The issue is, it is not your computer that is going to get a DCS hit. So, yes, the DESAT time is interesting info, but not worth trusting a life on crutches to.

Yet that same computer model is what you use to compute NDLs and deco requirements!!! Could an error there have the same result?

Yet that same computer model is what you use to compute NDLs and deco requirements!!! Could an error there have the same result?
I don't know. What do you think?

Without looking, pretty sure DAN recommends total gas washout before flying. At least theoretical total washout.

I do not believe that is correct. I have checked my computer at 24 hours after somewhat aggressive no deco diving in Coz and saw remaining saturation between 6 and 12% in the leading compartment.

Here is the NOAA Ascent to altitude table. It tells you how long you will have to wait before ascending to different altitudes after being in specific pressure groups. Without knowing how long you will be at your depths, I will almost guarantee that you will be in Pressure Group A after you dive. It is almost unthinkable that you would get all the way to pressure group B. It would take a miracle on the order of the loaves and fishes for you to get to pressure group C. [NOTE: I paid no attention to the tables in writing this, really. I I honestly don't think it is possible for you to get out of Presssure Group A under ANY circumstances.] According to this table, here is how long you will have to wait before flying in an airplane pressurized to 8,000 feet, depending upon which pressure group you are in when you complete your final dive.

Group A: 0:00
Group B: 0:00
Group C: 0:00
Group D: 3:28

Hope you can wait that long.

Now we really have a good usage for Nitrox in the shallows. How about EAN 50 should end with about .8 PPN2 @ 20ft.

I am a fairly conservative recreational diver. My computer always shows me a no-fly time after diving. I am under the impression that most dive computers provide this information. Could the OP in this topic not rely on the information his computer provides?

Most dive computers have a basic count down timer that will start at 24 hr even if you only go to 6 ft for 5 min. however many of the multi gas or tech computers actually calculate DESAT time, or the deco planner software will do the same. I know on my computer it tells me when I am off gassing. If it was a deep dive i may start off gassing at 50Ft if it was shallow probably 20ft. I do not think it is always showing I'm off gassing in less than 20ft. But I'm not a doctor or a lawyer.

One other thought is if you dive with 36% O2 nitrox you will reduce your nitrogen exposure even more.

If it was me .... I would do the pool work well before I have to leave.

If you dive using greater than 50% O2 you will be off gassing in the water so I personally wouldn't have a problem with flying while I was still wet. By the same token I would be comfortable with a flight if my GF was 0 on my DC post dive and I had a nights rest (8-ish hours SI)

HOWEVER.......
Insurance companies live for reasons to not pay and if you had ANY medical issue I am sure there would be attempts to link it to your "reckless disregard of established standards" and you would be SOL. Coronary incident? Must be bubbles. Broke a leg? Disorientation from brain-bubbles.

Flight diverted because you had a problem? Better have VERY deep pockets.

Risk is yours to take or not, but the "lawyer answers" may turn out to be the deciding factor. I would never advocate "breaking" the rules to anyone, my personal risk calculations are my own to decide on.

A difference between a knowledgeable person and a parrot is the parrot can not interpolate or extrapolate his knowledge.

Yeah, a "knowledgeable" plumber making interpolation and extrapolations on how to do surgery to remove a brain tumor and fly a spaceship to the next galaxy and all learned from the internet of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom