shallow-dive wait-time before flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The simple TL;DR response would seem to be should be ok (so long as there is no de-pressurisation of the plane) but is not recommended by most associations as their research & tables do not cover that situation.

And , I'll add... The most likely pressurization issue would be lose of control of cabin pressure .. And not a total loss...

Jim....

In Colorado we do certifications at crater in Utah in the winter, they say don't fly !!! so we jump in our cars and ride over the mountain passes ??? which is way worse !!! my truck is not pressurized to 8k feet . not dead yet :-( but dont try this at home your mileage may vary

In Colorado we do certifications at crater in Utah in the winter, they say don't fly !!! so we jump in our cars and ride over the mountain passes ??? which is way worse !!! my truck is not pressurized to 8k feet . not dead yet :-( but dont try this at home your mileage may vary
The difference is that the change in pressure you would be subject to is relatively slow in nature whereas a flight will change its relative pressure pretty quickly by comparison (as well as the chance for rapid de-pressurisation . The speed of the change would then lend itself to a greater change of bubble formation and risk of DCS (however minimal).

I spoke with DAN about this specifically. Since Homestead Crater is higher than 6,000 feet, you actually can fly after diving there, because an altitude gain of less than 2,000 feet is not considered problematic. If you do want to drive, you will not get a 2,000 elevation gain if you go through Wyoming.

Thank you all for your answers. Since the standard tables don't cover this really shallow case, it's really a toss-up. With toss-ups, where health is concerned, clearly it's best to be conservative.
I will borrow a dive-computer and look at estimated residual nitrogen.
A buddy of mine has done thousands of dives, and will loan me his.

Cabin pressure on MOST aircraft is in the 6,000' to 8,000' ASL... I don't know what the body would do if it was subjected to a rapid decompression to 30,000' - 35,000' ASL... The pilot would start a rapid decent to 6,000' ASL at a rate of 4,500' to 5,500' FPM... So your looking at about 5 minutes for gas bubbles to start forming... And that from the time the pilot starts the descent...

Jim....

No! In the event of a rapid, or even not so rapid, decompression, the pilot is going to descend as expeditiously and safely as possible to an altitude below 10,000 MSL (mean sea level), or above the minimum safe altitude of 1000 AGL (above ground level) above the highest obstacle in the area, or 2000 AGL above the highest obstacle in mountainous terrain. I know, lot's of aboves. So if you happen to have a cabin decompression in a mountainous area, you could be well above 6000 MSL for a much longer period of time. Just something else to consider in the risk you are willing to take.

No! In the event of a rapid, or even not so rapid, decompression, the pilot is going to descend as expeditiously and safely as possible to an altitude below 10,000 MSL (mean sea level), or above the minimum safe altitude of 1000 AGL (above ground level) above the highest obstacle in the area, or 2000 AGL above the highest obstacle in mountainous terrain. I know, lot's of aboves. So if you happen to have a cabin decompression in a mountainous area, you could be well above 6000 MSL for a much longer period of time. Just something else to consider in the risk you are willing to take.

Expeditiously and Safely is 4,500' to 5,500' feet per minute (FPM) in a large commercial aircraft...

Jim....

Jim,
Please re-read my response. I was addressing the final descent altitude, not the descent rate. I was merely pointing out that in certain mountainous environments, an aircraft could be stuck well above 10,000 MSL for a much longer period of time than most folks think about when analyzing the risks associated with flying after diving. People that are not pilots really do not completely understand all of the things that can go wrong with the aircraft or flight environment that can really complicate the plight of diver that is pushing the dive/fly guidance. Good information can help make good decisions.

@Altamira I was going to make that point as well - the plane can descend as quickly as the pilot decides is safe however there may be a hard floor that cannot safely be descended below. This may even be above the level that the cabin had previously been pressurised to.

Back
Top Bottom