Shallowest dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3:

I laughed so hard at that one my Daughter came in the room to see what was so funny!

I strained a muscle stifling my laugh so that co-workers would not realize I was doing something other than work!

I can't believe though that you left off any discussion about hose length.

:popcorn:

I think the tricky part will be hiking your gear up there ;-).

Any one have any idea what sort of sea life to expect?
I wouldn't expect a lot of sea life, although I guess you can't rule out an occasional Zambezi shark making its way upstream, depending on the lake.

Crater Lake at Crater Lake National Park in Oregon is a beautiful high altitude dive. I've hiked in and out of it a number of times and have decided not to dive it myself, but I know those that have.

Clear Lake, outside of Sisters, Oregon is another high altitude dive in the Oregon Cascade Mountains. One does need to be careful about setting your computer (or high altitude calculations on your tables). I do this dive every year in a 7 mm wetsuit, but almost everyone else is diving in their drysuit.

If you really wanted to dive high lakes, you probably do not have to actually hike your stuff in. Just make friends with the people in your local Offroading clubs. I know I've driven up to lots of lakes that others will say are only reachable by hiking.

Here's one of the most beautiful high lakes I've ever seen:

1559955575_2df8fba1e0.jpg

Pangong Lake, Ladakh - in the mountains of northern India 13,900ft. You can drive right to shore :)

I took the Extreme Shallow Diving specialty course- for our checkout dive we sat in the parking lot and the DM sprayed us with a hose.

One guy ran out of air, but since I have a 7' hose I literally tossed him my primary reg.

What's all this DCS stuff when the OP is talking about shallowest dives. What is the deco time for a hour dive at 10 feet at 13,000ft? Good lord.

Any one have any idea what sort of sea life to expect? I have seen some crystal clear lakes in the Cascade mountains in Washington State that I always thought would be fun to dive. I suppose there are some members of the trout family that live there.
Not sure if it's worth the DCS risks though. And the fact that the water would be freezing pretty much year round!

"Sea Life"? Might be hard pushed to find that, perhaps some "Lake Life" will have to do....
:wink:

"Extreme Shallow Diving"

Think of the possibilities.

As per a hypothetical phone conversation between "Extreme Shallow Divers" Bill and Ed.

Ring Ring

"Ed here, whom am I speaking with?"

"Ed, it's Bill, your extreme shallow diving buddy"

"Hey Bill what's shaking man? Hit any good mud puddles lately?"

Bill- "Nah, you know I wouldn't dive solo, you're my buddy! It's going to rain this afternoon and that's going to create a whole bunch of new potential dive sites over at that paved road that runs by the old farmhouse on Haystack Drive. What do you say we gear up and wait for the rain drops?"

Ed-"Sounds good Bill but it's Sunday on a holiday weekend, do you think there are any Dive Ops going out today?"

Bill - "Ed, where we're going, we don't NEED boats. We're going to do a shore entry from the side of the mud puddle. We're talking maybe a 3 foot swim out on the surface and then a descent to a maximum depth of perhaps 8" tops"

Ed- "Ok, but I haven't had my tank inspected or filled since my last dive"

Bill- "That's OK Ed, we don't need to bring our tanks we can just use the surface supplied air, we're only going to be down about a half a foot"

Ed "Should I bring my Spare Air or split fins?"

Bill - "No need for those either, in fact all you really need to bring is your mask and your snorkel as a back up redundant air source".

Ed- "What about entanglements, should I bring a knife or shears?"

Bill- "No need, if you get tangled, just stand up"

Ed- "Safety Sausages or air horn?"

Bill- "If we need help I'll have my cellphone in my back pocket"

Ed- "See you soon Buddy".

No need to debate controversial gear, find a dive boat, or fill tanks. No need for extra gear such as cutting tools or signal devices. It's probably reasonable to assume that a safety stop or deco stops aren't required either. That's a real timesaver right there.

I think we're onto something here.

Hittin' the meds again I see Doc :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom