Sharing air to extend bottom time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was pretty amazed to read TSandM routinely shared air. My bad for putting you on a pedestal. I am glad to know that TSandM writes honestly about her experiences.

I am on the fence on this issue. I do agree with the OP that for a DM to take this option to extend a dive is not OK. I have to agree with DevonDiver that proper gas management should be adhered too. I can envision a cascade of events that goes terribly wrong. So even though this discussion assumes non-confined spaces plenty of divers have open water accidents.

I don't view air sharing as a way to extend a dive as practice because it sounds like the same individual is always donating. Practice would mean that both individuals perform the task.

Very good thread that's for sure!

I can understand why an agency would frown upon this, especially from it's Course Directors and Instructors. It should be frowning on it's Dive Masters who do this as well while they are representing the agency and getting paid for what they do. It simply does not send a good message to new divers. As I have said before, if someone chooses to do this on their own while diving with a well known dive buddy, fine. It's your dive, dive the way you want. However, do not expect me to ever feel like this is a good idea for a "professional" to be practicing with people whom he/she is supposed to be looking after, or as an agency approved policy.

Andy (DD), you may have me confused with someone who has been immersed in the Kool-Aid!:wink: I'm quite happy doing a lot of stuff that would make a true-Blue GUEer gulp. I don't even know whether my light cord is supposed to go over or under the long hose! I just know what I do and how it works.

Andy, I do see your point and if I was in the role of a guide or such in the tropics, I would NOT do this -- for all the reasons you stated. OTOH, I do NOT want to be constrained by how others view me when I'm just as much of a paying customer as they are. If they look at me (or anyone else) and think "I should be able to do that" well, honestly, that's their issue. (Note -- I hope they would then ask me "Why did you do that" (whatever "that" might be) and then we could have an honest discussion about whatever issue it is.)

I also don't see why one would call this a bad gas management practice either -- especially if it is planned from the start. Running out of gas IS bad gas management practice -- knowing and using your team's total resources may be quite good practice. YMMV

BTW, DumpsterD -- I too have a number of things that might well make this seem very trivial!

I know of DM's that would take this " Act " to the extreme. As their " New " diver got low on air, they would send the new divers kit to the surface. ( They would make sure wetsuits were not part of the gear. )

The DM would end the dive with a " Happy Ending "!

Is this OK since the DM did not get paid extra for his final performance, therefore was not a professional during " The Act "?

Or should the DM have done " The Act " sooner when the " new " diver had more air?

Wow -- what a firestorm!

1. I don't think DMs should do this with clients, because it does hamper the DMs ability to do WHAT I HIRED HIM TO DO, which is find critters. I realize that most people think the DM is there to rescue people; I don't see it that way, and expect my team to self-rescue if there is an issue, but whatever you want the DM to do, he can't do it very well if he is sharing gas with a client. (OTOH, I'm not crazy about having to end MY dive because the person with 20 dives has blown through their gas, either.)

2. I think air-sharing is something everybody should be completely comfortable doing. Unfortunately, the gear configurations a lot of people use make it an awkward thing. Using a seven foot hose, my husband and I can swim very comfortably side by side, looking for critters and enjoying the dive. And it means that we have tons of practice sharing gas and maintaining buoyancy and staying relaxed. In the event where we HAD to share gas (husband thought he had something bad in his tank) it was awfully nice to have the actual gas-sharing be a non-event.

3. Where we cannot get dissimilar tanks, we can pleasantly lengthen our dive by "gas matching". Both of us have gas consumption that is on the low end of the scale. I don't think Peter needs to learn to be more efficient in the water. He's BIGGER than I am, is all, and uses more gas.

4. I agree that this is NOT a strategy which should be considered as a routine practice for the person who does a week of diving a year. We are not that person. At the same time, I do NOT think it is wise to make a blanket statement that electively sharing gas during a dive is a completely reprehensible practice. I'd much rather have some somewhat inexperienced divers sharing gas, than have them baffled and stressed beyond capacity when they have to do it because someone has failed to check his gauges.

And finally, yes, I am a SB moderator, but my decisions and opinions about my diving practices are not those of management. We moderators ARE allowed to post as individuals, and that's what I have done here.

Last edited:
I know of DM's that would take this " Act " to the extreme. As their " New " diver got low on air, they would send the new divers kit to the surface. ( They would make sure wetsuits were not part of the gear. )

The DM would end the dive with a " Happy Ending "!

Is this OK since the DM did not get paid extra for his final performance, therefore was not a professional during " The Act "?

Or should the DM have done " The Act " sooner when the " new " diver had more air?

Sounds like he might have been diving solo.

What I dont like about sharing air and keep diving is that if it is the guide/instructor in charge of a group doing it with a diver who is low on air, (s)he will not be able to assist anyone else should something happen.

Two buddies "practicing air sharing drills" for 10 minutes with a sound plan with regards to when to go on/of eachothers gas - dont see much of an issue with it as long as those two divers DONT have responsibility for anyoine else..

I do agree with TS&M that we SHOULD be able to self-rescue (and Ive been in that situation three times), but as a DM with a group of several people, some of whom you may never have dived with before, Id rather see the DM be on the safe side than extending someones 45-minute dive into a 55-minute one.

Andy -- question -- is it the practice of "air sharing" to extend BT itself you believe is wrong or the practice of "air sharing" to extend BT and being a role model for those who don't have the skills that is wrong? That is, IF it were just the two of us, or the two of us and a guide, would it still be a "bad practice?"

I'll admit there are other solutions I'd rather do -- for example, start the dive with more gas (an AL 100 vs. an 80 for example) OR do the dive with a stage and keep the back gas as my reserve. BUT, taking the stage issue for example, would THAT be setting a bad example in your eyes? After all, the typical vacation diver doesn't know how to dive with a stage either -- but if I was doing so, would that be wrong? Must we all be constrained by the lowest common denominator in group/vacation diving?

This whole issue seems to boil down to this:

DM/Instructors - Should not do this unless it's an emergency.

Anyone else who has done before and have discussed before the dive, go for it.

This whole issue seems to boil down to this:

DM/Instructors - Should not do this unless it's an emergency.

Anyone else who has done before and have discussed before the dive, go for it.
...but if you are going to go for it, brief it beforehand and do not wait to be low on gas before doing so... would probably better reflect what has been discussed thus far.

Back
Top Bottom