Sharing Cozumel (and Living Underwater) with Friends

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kentmorrdave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Me gusta Cozumel. Here is some lousy pix from last week:

PhotoShow | Sharing Cozumel (Living Umderwater)

This was supposed to be our first time at Cozumel Carnaval for my wife Tammy and myself. Our friends Paul and Nancy are making their first visit to the isla. I could go on about Carnaval dates and such, but 3 weeks after booking our flights and condo the city changed confirmed Carnaval dates. I am glad to be going to Coz anytime especially on a cold, frosty D.C. area Saturday morning. US Air provides on time departures from both DC and Charlotte.

I am attempting to “import” several homemade, cooked goodies for our Super Bowl party on Sunday. I am also a mule for several items for some folks on the island. I will let you know how it goes. We are staying at El Cantil condominiums. Casa Phoenix is the name of the unit. A Scuba Board / Trip Advisor group dinner is scheduled for tonight at El Moro. I saw zzzscuba on the flight down.

BUSTED!!! I have been to Cozumel many times. I have brought crab cakes, cheese, beef, many, many dozens of cookies and never been challenged. This time I had a super plan. I cook for a living and wanted to have a taco, tamale, Mexican themed Super Bowl party. I cooked and concentrated cochinita, chicken pibil, beef barbacoa and the best damn chili you ever ate. I froze it, shrunk wrapped and put it in an insulated Sam’s Club bag inside my dive gear bag. Well guess what? After an early arrival I am at the Stop/Go light and get the green. Money, I’m through. As I attempt to pass the guy says put the bags through the x-ray. I usually us a porter but they were not yet in the area because of the early arrival. “Senor, did you bring food with you?” “Yes, for our Super Bowl party.” “What do you have?” 16 dozen cookies, 2 pounds kielbasa sausage, biscuit ingredients, rum cake ingredients, 3 berry fruit puree,1 gallon sopa de lima, 3 nut rolls, Russian Tea Cakes, chili, cochinita, chicken pibil, cold cuts, barbacoa. They took the cochinita, chili, pibil and my kielbasa. They kindly allowed me to pass with the rest-and my crocodile tears! I knew it was a risk.

We are comfortably in our beautiful condo. Our first dive is scheduled for 2:15 with Jeremy Anschel, owner of Living Underwater. This will be Paul’s first open water dive.
It is a beautiful afternoon and Jeremy is waiting at the dock at 2:10. We cruise down the shore to the C-53. I have never dived here. It is a good choice for Paul’s first dive. We are the only people at the site. We slowly descend to the sand, collect our thoughts and slowly approach the vessel. We enjoy practicing our buoyancy above the decks and spend a leisurely hour.

We take a cab to El Moro. We eat dinner with DS2, Scuba Bride, Rotarian David, Turquoise Sherry, Palapa Girl, Scuba Betsy, zzzscuba and many others. A good meal and a great time.

A 6 a.m. wake up call. My wife Tammy joins Paul and me for a walk up the malceon. I have been a member of Weight Watcher since October 23 and have lost twenty five pounds since then. I will be sorely tested this week, I’m sure. I figure a long walk is a good start each morning. We see many sights all week. The roof dogs of Cozumel are among my favorite sites. We are at Chedraui for the 7 a.m. opening. I need creamer for my coffee. A hot cup of coffee and as I sit down on the balcony I see the Jewfish has arrived, twenty minutes early. I hustle down and we are off. We have Gustavo as DM today, as well as Francisco at the helm and first mate Ricardo. Diving with Alan from Springfield, VA and Steve and Jeanette from the El Presidente. Our first dive is Palancar Caves, down through the swim through. Paul and I are at the back of the pack and miss the Eagle Ray that passed by. It was to be the only Eagle Ray our group saw this week. We surface interval at Playa Palancar. However, at 10:15 on a Sunday Election Day there is no service. Our second dive is at Chankanaab Bolones. It is a nice dive. Both dives today were north to south, with light current. Cooler water than I have ever had here. I had a low water temp of 77. Paul did great today. Like most new divers he likes to breathe. His buoyancy is great. Now, it’s off to prep for the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl after diving in Cozumel-priceless! After my attempt to import our Super Bowl buffet failed, my lovely wife Tammy and our friend Nancy set about Cozumel to purchase provisions. Fresh Grouper-“mero” from the Mercado. She bought a five pound whole grouper and the guy skinned and filleted it for about twenty bucks. Cochinita from El Super Hit, chicken from La Palapa, and the beans, rice, salad and fresh warm tortillas from Chedraui. Alcohol sales were prohibited due to elections. However, our condo previously purchased tequila, Sol and Tecate light-whew!! We are set. Here is the new Super Bowl menu:
Tacos con cochinita
Tacos con pollo
Tacos con pescado
Mero con ajo
Mero con tomato, cilantro, ajo, ceballo
Tamales, sopa de lima, beans, rice
3 berry fruit soup with my home made rum cake and helado coco
We had a ball. And we had leftovers for the week. LOL. For all the Casa Phoenix included the Super Bowl telecast was not among them. We watched the first half on the NFL network watching the stats update. We all got a kick out of that. We watched the second half at Wynston’s with Albert Dannerman. What a nice place that is. We had a great evening. Watching the Giants upset the Patriots must have been the cause of my tequila over consumption.

Not feeling the best Monday morning. I have never had a hangover while diving and I suggest you do not either. First dive Monday at Columbia Deep. I once almost wrote this dive off my favorites list. I find that hard to believe, now. I love watching the sky scraper coral heads soar to the surface. Our second dive is at Cedral. We will do it twice more this week. There are several ways to enjoy this site. I am using 32% nitrox on the second dive and rarely go below 45 minutes bottom time. We enjoy the eels, splendid toadfish, giant puffer fish, a big moray that appeared to be feeling ill, lobsters and much more. We are diving with the other Living Underwater dive master, Gustavo, and he provides a great experience. Captain Francisco (short legs) and mate Ricardo complete the team. Their service is off the charts.

A relaxing afternoon on the 7th floor balcony. Paul and I are working on the Super Bowl leftovers. Our lovely wives have been around town enjoying a massage by Barefoot Sally. I gave them gift certificates at the holidays. They really enjoyed them and Sally, too. Today begins their saga of the wooden bowls. A beautiful sunny day allows an awesome sunset. We head to town to visit Tony Rome. He and Maria are busy in the kitchen. No cochinera. Several members of the Cozumel boards are eating, visiting, checking emails, etc.

Tuesday morning-Fat Tuesday begins with a little shower, one of the few we experienced this week. Paul and I head south for our morning walk and watch the cruise ships approach and dock. I Googled one ship and was able to watch the ship’s bow camera as we watched it from our balcony. It is a small world from the Internet. Our first dive today is Punta Sur Sur. In November, we had five reef sharks and great viz. Today we had no sharks, no current and low viz. As we enjoy our SI at Playa Palancar, Jeremy stops by and we all chat. He has been enjoying a few days with his family. Our second dive is again at Cedral. Good viz and perfect current. This was a classic Cedral dive. We see tons of schooling fish, the resident large puffers, giant groupers, Nurse Shark, lobsters and morays. I love Cedral. Our third dive, a night dive at Chankanaab Bolones features lots of crabs, lobsters and splendid toadfish. We id not see one octopus, a first for me on a Cozumel night dive. We shower, shave, and grab a cab to La Perlita. A well run seafood restaurant right across the street from Jeremy’s house. The groupers that night had glassy eyes so I requested another fish. The person pulls out a beautifully fresh large Red Snapper. Please set the price before they cook it, but it was a great fish to eat. Nancy and Tammy had fish tacos, Paul had a Grande shrimp ceviche probably approaching 1 ½ pounds. They always provide great service and a nice atmosphere.

Our first dive Wednesday is off the wall at Cedral. Lots of current, but very comfortable and after a lot of fining this week a nice change. We see some turtles and another Nurse shark, plus loads of fish. Our second dive is Santa Rosa. Gustavo took a long, relaxing trip through 4 swim through-they were simply fantastic. A nice current pushed along at a perfect pace. The last two times here the viz was lousy. The highlight of the dive was Gustavo seeing a scorpion fish from twenty feet above it. I could barely see it when I was right on top of it!! The same group has dove together since Sunday, however Paul sat this day out. The girls recruited him to go up town and battle the crowds from the 8 cruise ships on the isla today. They had a great lunch at El Morito, a spin off El Moro on Calle 6 north. It is my wife’s favorite place for lunch in Cozumel. We enjoy the afternoon by the pool and head out to El Pique. This is a great place for a sub, taco or great frijoles charros. They have cold drinks and a lively atmosphere, real fun.

Jeremy and Paul are back on board today Thursday, and we roll back on Palancar Gardens, starting the wall. We spot two sets of juvenile drum and enjoy a long, colorful dive finishing our safety stop poking around the coral heads looking for the good stuff. Our second dive is at Punta Tunich. Strong, but manageable currents keep the sponge growth and reef vibrant here. I think it resembles San Juan in places. Lots of color, giant parrotfish, turtles, and trunkfish, more drum fish and this cool worm. Today was to be the last dive day but my patient, understanding wife allows me to book Friday. Nice. We have a great dinner at Sonora Grill, the only patrons at the time Thursday night. The all-inclusive hotels are killing the restaurants in town. We had surf and turf, camarones Sonora and a large Mexican platter with mole poblano was the highlight. Now to finish the story (saga ) of the wooden bowls. My wife and her friend Nancy have been going between two stores since Monday haggling over bowls she wants for our catering operation. Berta, who has a store off the plaza and another store on Calle 2 Norte each have similar bowls. She finally consummated the deal Thursday evening with my wife winning the gold medal in bargaining and Berta still making a handsome profit, I assume. My wife had a look of satisfaction as Paul and I hauled the bowls back to the condo. It is part of the fun of Cozumel and gives us an excuse to head into town each day.

Let us talk about Casa Phoenix at El Cantil. $400 per day for 4 big bedrooms, each with private bath. It is the cleanest place you will ever stay. The nice housekeepers arrive daily and see to your every need. It has flat screens, Dish Network, Sirius, a fully stocked kitchen (they even provide coffee) and more. A nice pool, great dock for pick-ups and a great balcony with hot tub and chairs. It is a great unit for socializing and centrally located. There is parking and extra storage. I highly recommend it. It is available from Bill and Alison Mencarow @ cozumelparadise.com. Casa Phoenix is a great way to spend the week. I highly suggest it as a site for a family reunion, or for 3 to 4 couples to keep the price down.

Here is the rest of the story:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/221524-sharing-cozumel-friends-2-a.html

Ok, you've got me wishing that April could come much sooner! FOUR MONTHS without Cozumel is about the longest stretch for me in the last few years. ("under employment" definately does have it's down sides.)

But, sshhhh... do you have to keep telling everyone how great Jeremy and Living Underwater are? I really did like that I use do to be able to book just a few weeks in advance. :)

The entire team Jeremy's got at Living Underwater are top notch and we've yet to find a better diving experience with any operator at other destinations we visit.

Nice write up and great pictures. I will be diving with LU in less than two weeks :wink:
This will be my first time with Jeremy and I have heard nothing but great things about his operation....I am so ready !!!

Nice write up and great pictures. I will be diving with LU in less than two weeks :wink:

This will be my first time with Jeremy and I have heard nothing but great things about his operation....I am so ready !!!

You're going to love it! Have a great trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom