Shark attack. .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it's appropriate to call the swimmer stupid nor blame the shark. This poor soul took a risk and had an unfortunate encounter and sharks are going to be sharks. It's easy to hop on the bandwagon and give this guy a Darwin Award but the reality is that we all take risks everyday. Hell, you take a risk everytime you get behind the wheel of a car. I take a risk everytime I go into a burning building. If I get burned, am I stupid because I knew there was fire in there? Or was I doing something I love. I'd hate to think that somone out there was mad at me because I gave fire a bad rap.

Widget your information about how to deter a shark ATTACK is quite useful and I hope I never need to use it.

I don't think it's appropriate to call the swimmer stupid nor blame the shark. This poor soul took a risk and had an unfortunate encounter and sharks are going to be sharks. It's easy to hop on the bandwagon and give this guy a Darwin Award but the reality is that we all take risks everyday. Hell, you take a risk everytime you get behind the wheel of a car. I take a risk everytime I go into a burning building. If I get burned, am I stupid because I knew there was fire in there? Or was I doing something I love. I'd hate to think that somone out there was mad at me because I gave fire a bad rap.

No you not supid when you run into a a burning building. .
Why do I say so, because you take precaustion, you sum
the situation up you make sure you not going to burn. .

I bet you he never thought when he went into the ocean,
he just went in. . He didn't stand there and thought maybe
i must rather come back tomorrow NO he just went in
and swim. . That is the differance. .

Live to dive and Dive to live. . . . :burnout:

Why, oh why, do people insist on swimming out to a sandbar??? And in murky water too..

I dunno hey.. personally i would call that stupid, but then again others would call wearing oversize shoes and a big yellow can on my back stupid..

I have heard stories from Ponto where guys have been on that bank on a day where the sea has been clear and still the bull sharks come in close.. so yeah i think the guy was either very uninformed or else exceptionally stupid. I would tend to think the latter, but thats just my opinion..

Well when two people from the same area say it. All I can assume is that the dude was swimming in a very notorious area. Yes maybe he was uninformed. Still dosen't feel right to say the guy was stupid, maybe the dude's an adrenaline junkie. Or was. To answer your comment Karel, Yes we do a size up and wear protective equipment when we go in. Everything we do is based on a Risk vs Benefit survey. We'll Risk alot to save alot. We risk very little if theres not any hope. If it's unsurvivable we don't go in. I doubt the guy would've gone into the water having seen or knowing sharks were there. If he saw a dorsal fin and went in anyway...that would qualify as stupid. My primary concern is that you earlier in this thread stated that you didn't care if he died. In my profession, we hold a PERSONS life as being more important than anything else. To say that someone could've died for all you care, based only on your concerns for the resulting bad press against sharks, is viewed as morbid.

Last edited:
Well when two people from the same area say it. All I can assume is that the dude was swimming in a very notorious area. Yes maybe he was uninformed. Still dosen't feel right to say the guy was stupid, maybe the dude's an adrenaline junkie. Or was. To answer your comment Karel, Yes we do a size up and wear protective equipment when we go in. Everything we do is based on a Risk vs Benefit survey. We'll Risk alot to save alot. We risk very little if theres not any hope. If it's unsurvivable we don't go in. I doubt the guy would've gone into the water having seen or knowing sharks were there. If he saw a dorsal fin and went in anyway...that would qualify as stupid. My primary concern is that you earlier in this thread stated that you didn't care if he died. In my profession, we hold a PERSONS life as being more important than anything else. To say that someone could've died for all you care, based only on your concerns for the resulting bad press against sharks, is viewed as morbid.

Well my point is that shark were made bad for long enough, if the human race hasn't learn anything by now ( remember the sharks are there since dinosures or so they claim ) Deep, then i am affraid i have no simpathy for them, because they will never learn then. . And i woun't let someone tell me that there aren't enough education out there for the people. .

In South Africa we have a lot of shark awearness campaigns teaching all poeple about sharks ( and according to the world we are a 3rd world country ). . So why can't other countries do the same. . ? ? I mean even the Natal shark board ( cotrolling the shark nets in South Africa ) educate people on sharks. .

...and my point is that you shouldn't covet the reputation of an animal over the life of a person. We're not talking about some criminal or someone who got someone else killed. We're talking about a guy who went swimming. Hey, Bull Sharks have a nasty reputation, BECAUSE THEY EARNED IT! It's known widely up the treasure coast of Florida and apparently it's known around South Africa that those animals are dangerous. The dude made a poor decision. That's all he did. Don't crucify him. In your first post, you asked if you were right to be angry at the guy and I'm answering you. What makes you so Holy that you should pass judgement on a guy who got attacked by a shark? Who are you to deem that the life of a man has less value than a sharks public image?

I am not holy. . I just don't get it why he did it. . What bothers me is that people will never take responsibillty for their irresponible behavior and then the sharks are going to get the short end of the rope. . How many sharks have been killed that weren't supose to be killed just beause we think we can . .

If you don't like it, then go into journalism. Use the attack as an opportunity to publicize the view that sharks just do what they do and that it is our responsibility to respect them in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom