Shark attack. .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Familiarity breeds attempt??

Quite possibly. This was one of the theories suggested. There are more divers diving with them each year in these locations - perhaps they are getting more used to us and also more confident in their interactions.

There have also been reports of boats feeding them - something I did not witness - which could again make them associate us with food.

Another theory is food source depletion.

Of course all these are just theories.

The point remains though that we had some hard and fast rules that as long as we adhered by we were pretty safe. No swimming. No night dives (latest dive was over by 7pm and that was a late one) and we stuck together and avoided, for the most part, looking or behaving like prey. Our dive guide had been diving in this location for 12 years and she was sensitive to the risks, including knowing when was a good time not to be in the water.

Personally I feel more nervous of Bulls but perhaps that cos I've never dived with them.

Unfamiliarity breeding respect? :wink: Or fear of the unknown.

J

It may be true Doc, but why when ever the people dive snorkel spear fish sharks don't attack them? ? The Zambezi ? Bull shark is one of the sharks with the poorest vision, thats why I say why go in the water when the conditions are very safe? ?

Why does there never happen shark incidents then every day when the conditions aren't bad? ?

Sharks do attack people who dive with snorkels and spear fish. In fact, these are some of the people most at risk for a shark attack.

Visibility is irrelevant. If a shark is going to attack you, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference whether or not you can see it. If you've ever seen how FAST a shark can attack, you'll realize that there is very little you can do to stop it.

Sharks do attack people who dive with snorkels and spear fish. In fact, these are some of the people most at risk for a shark attack.

Visibility is irrelevant. If a shark is going to attack you, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference whether or not you can see it. If you've ever seen how FAST a shark can attack, you'll realize that there is very little you can do to stop it.

I don't agree. Otherwise why would maintaining visibility/eye contact with a shark be considered important?

We're big creatures and capable of doing some damage to them. A sneak attack is usually preferred, no? So having visual awareness of a shark keeps both you safer from a positional perspective and also keeps the shark more wary from a danger to itself perspective.

I agree, sharks can attack REALLY FAST, however, what I have said above is also true.

J

I don't agree. Otherwise why would maintaining visibility/eye contact with a shark be considered important?

We're big creatures and capable of doing some damage to them. A sneak attack is usually preferred, no? So having visual awareness of a shark keeps both you safer from a positional perspective and also keeps the shark more wary from a danger to itself perspective.

I agree, sharks can attack REALLY FAST, however, what I have said above is also true.

J

You can deter a shark that is just curious or just "bumping" you, but if it decides to attack there is absolutely nothing you can do.

Last edited:
Doc Harry:
You can deter a shark that is just curious or just "bumping" you, but if it decides to attack there is absolutely nothing you can do.

There are steps you can take to protect yourself and your buddy, but the best thing you can do is to stop it from wanting to take that first bite.

J

It's a fact dogs know when your looking at them and when you close your eyes they know you can't see them. Could be sharks have the same abilities.

It's a fact dogs know when your looking at them and when you close your eyes they know you can't see them. Could be sharks have the same abilities.

I'd hardly call myself an expert as I've only dived about 40 times with them. However, with the more feisty ones, they do seem to know when you're looking at them. Thank **** they haven't worked out just how defenceless we actually are!

Walter makes a point though - the more aggressive you posture yourself against them, the more wary they are to be of you (in my extremely limited experience).

However, contrasting clothing definitely got the oceanics excited. My buddy was wearing Force Fins. They look like fish fins. Boy did the sharks love to have a sniff at him.

Just like dogs.

J

Quite possibly. This was one of the theories suggested. There are more divers diving with them each year in these locations - perhaps they are getting more used to us and also more confident in their interactions.

There have also been reports of boats feeding them - something I did not witness - which could again make them associate us with food.

Another theory is food source depletion.

Of course all these are just theories.

The point remains though that we had some hard and fast rules that as long as we adhered by we were pretty safe. No swimming. No night dives (latest dive was over by 7pm and that was a late one) and we stuck together and avoided, for the most part, looking or behaving like prey. Our dive guide had been diving in this location for 12 years and she was sensitive to the risks, including knowing when was a good time not to be in the water.

Personally I feel more nervous of Bulls but perhaps that cos I've never dived with them.

Unfamiliarity breeding respect? :wink: Or fear of the unknown.

J
Maybe they're just excited to see us too.

What are some good tactics for not looking or behaving like prey, besides no spastic shimmying, or bleeding? This could come in handy one day should the man in the grey suit come nosing about.

On the visibility angle, you often hear that the odds of attack are higher in low viz. Whether that's because the shark feels less vulnerable or relies less on eyesight discrimination would be interesting to know. I've only ever been close a few times to the Hawaiian white tips, which seem hinky at all proximity at least in the caves, and one (maybe) black tip in the Keys that definitely acted differently when I was looking than when he snuck up from behind. Not sure I want to encounter any bolder species...

What are some good tactics for not looking or behaving like prey, besides no spastic shimmying, or bleeding? This could come in handy one day should the man in the grey suit come nosing about.

On the visibility angle, you often hear that the odds of attack are higher in low viz. Whether that's because the shark feels less vulnerable or relies less on eyesight discrimination would be interesting to know. I've only ever been close a few times to the Hawaiian white tips, which seem hinky at all proximity at least in the caves, and one (maybe) black tip in the Keys that definitely acted differently when I was looking than when he snuck up from behind. Not sure I want to encounter any bolder species...

In my working enviroment we encounter a lot of sharks, generally they just maintain a comfortable distance on our maximum visibility (which if you think about it, is generally more or less their max SIGHT visibility as well) occasionally they will come in closer to inspect but as others have said we are big prey for them and most sharks are a little cautious.

What to do, well it depends on the enviroment you are in, in open water if a shark is behaving in a threatening manner, we teach our divers to stick together, if possible in a circle facing outwards, so that someone has visual contact with the animal at all times, (this is especially true with Great Whites who often circle working divers) and slowly ascend to the boat if necessary, but usually its not and after a circle or two the animals just move off.

If you are in a reef or other enviroment try and ensure your back is to the wall and you are on the bottom (if possible) to prevent attacks from the rear or below, keeping visual contact with the animal as much as possible is very important as others have said. Protecting your back is vital as most attacks are from the rear or below where the animal knows your cant see them.

I agree if a shark has a determined intent to attack they do so very quickly and you would be hard pressed to stop such an attack, some have fought sharks off with whatever is available, but, big predators like sharks mostly attack and retreat, this is because their natural prey can bite back and its safer for them to inflict a mortal wound, retreat, and allow the animal to weaken due to loss of blood / major injury before delivering a final attack to kill. Usually why most humans survive shark attacks as well, the animal retreats and we can get out of the water.

It definately is proven that attacks on humans are more prevalent in murky water or conditions just before dawn and at dusk when the animals tend to be feeding, although this applies more to swimmers and surfers etc not divers.

Back
Top Bottom