Shark attack. .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose my intent here is let the shark "off the hook" for being who he or she is and its nature. your right 100% Rick I cannot refute this logic, I am only responding to the OP in asking should she be mad at the shark or the person involved. I was trying to only to bring home the point that when the verbage "SHARK ATTACK" is sensationalized in the media, it only leads to humans wanting to kill more sharks so that they can play safe in the water of their choice.

with respect to all the biologists
ww

... the OP in asking should she be mad at the shark or the person involved...
The answer to that is "no." There's absolutely nothing to be gained - except perhaps a few mm on your blood pressure readings - by being mad at either. And like math, the lessons to be taken from the incident are as old as recorded history. We can repeat them, but they haven't - and won't - change.
:)
Rick

What even made me more furious wa sthe fact that the article
was haed lines in the news paper two days later when the guy
came out of the hospital they had a story on him agian
asking more qeustions. .

But only this time the artical is no front page news but almost
in the middle of the paper where every body will not find it
intresting any more. .

The shark only to some flesh out of his back ( ont majot though)
a bite mark of 20centimeters and a few minor bites. .

He claims that when the event happend (will not say attack,
because some people made me feel bad about it lol) that
there wasn't anythingg he could have done to prevent the
incident. . But why on heavens earth would one want to
go in water shoulder depth when you can't see anything arond
you? ? :no:

Live to dive and Dive to live. . . . :burnout:

sharks do not "attack" humans. they are eating. period. do we attack cows?
sharks eat to stay alive we are in the path, they try to eat us, sometimes, most of the time they do not. If you are going to be in a situation, swimming in shark infested water, scuba or what ever water sport that includes the habitat of sharks, this means you are going into an ocean that has creatures that will eat humans.

If this is shocking and not acceptable please stay out of the waters that sharks live in.

ww

Firtse of all lady Sharks don't eat humans. . They made a mistake by identity
and the human that was the unlucky bean have to live with what happened. . I do agree that we enter their world and that there are risks involved when entering. .

Live to dive and Dive to live. . . .

Karel26:
Firtse of all lady Sharks don't eat humans.

Tell that to the crew of the USS Indianapolis. Tell that to the victims of Matawan Creek. Tell that to Bret Gilliam who posted the story of having sharks eat his buddy, literally pulling him out of his hands. Fortunately, it is rare for sharks to eat humans, but it does happen.

Tell that to the crew of the USS Indianapolis. Tell that to the victims of Matawan Creek. Tell that to Bret Gilliam who posted the story of having sharks eat his buddy, literally pulling him out of his hands. Fortunately, it is rare for sharks to eat humans, but it does happen.

Okay. . Why then when ever there are a shark attack
they just bite the people once, maybe come back for a
second time and then leave. . ? ?

I have never heared of any attack in South Africa where
the shark ate a whole human, not even half. . And
in South Africa we have a from the worlds most dangerous
sharks to sharks that are not harmfull to humans. .

In Mosselbay ( Western Cape South Africa ) we have a
lot of great whites swimming between the beaches and
the shark nets. . Why don't they attack and eat humans
then when they can get easy food / prey to live of
humans. . If all the holiday makers know that then they
won't go into the ocean, but day afetr day they go back
in and nothing happened to them. .

Live to dive and Dive to live. . . .

I don't understand the OP's rage at the swimmer. When you enter the marine environment there is always the possibility of death or injury due to many different factors. With experience and training we can only hope to mitigate those factors not eliminate them.
I also like to swim in open water and I'd say my bigger fear due to personal experience are jellyfish. I would expect that to change if I had bumped into a couple of sharks though.

What was for me stupid are the fact that he went swimming in water where he couldn't even see the ocean bed

Being able to see the ocean bed does not prevent a shark attack.

Being able to see the ocean bed does not prevent a shark attack.

For sure the one that bites you is the one you don't see.

Back
Top Bottom