Shark Attacks in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And when a 4 1/2 year old thread is revived, I'm always a bit puzzled, (and skeptical).
If one googles "Mary Eggemeyer," one the links goes to this thread. Les Clements is a new member who probably joined after doing so and wanted to comment on the discussion.

The original news story on that attack can be seen at a Google Groups link that shows up when you do that. I can't post the link without it being connected to a menu of links.

We saw a large hammerhead at Palancar Reef in February of 2018. We were finishing up an afternoon dive at 30 feet. Definitely got our attention. Here’s a picture. Fast forward to the 1:57 mark to see video
View attachment 528043

Back in the mid-90's I was working for DIMI Dive Shop ( right next to the original Jeanie's Waffle House, under the Vista Del Mar), and I took an afternoon trip out on the infamous "No Problem" (aka, "Problema Grande"). It was just 3 divers, and the owner asked me to keep an extra close eye on the nervous and inexperienced female. We were at one of the Palancar reefs (Gardenas, I think) , around 70-ft or so, and i turned to check on the group, and saw a MONSTER hammerhead behind us, with a whole entourage tagging along, swimming north along the reef, out over the drop--off.
As I pointed behind us for everyone to see it, i grabbed the tank valve of the girl, so she couldn't bolt, and flashed her the OK signal, and she responded that she was good. Then OK'd the two brothers, and they were fine too, and we all just kept our eyes on it.
The shark kept swimming north along the wall, but then veered back towards us for a couple seconds, then turned again, and kept going north (THAT really got my attention!)
After he disappeared, me and the guys were whooping and hollering, high-fiving each other !
As mentioned above, "real" shark sightings are rare in Cozumel, so this was a treat. And you'll never convince any of us that thing wasn't 15 feet long. He was not lean, sleek and tight, this guy was a big, honkin', rippling brahma bull !
For the rest of the dive, everytime I'd remember we just saw a giant hammerhead, and I'd get a jolt of adrenaline, and start rubbernecking to make sure he hadn't come back !
Anyway, after about 15 years down there, that's probably my best shark experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom