Shark bite risk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's been proven that shark attacks are pretty rare. It's a myth ike this: I just watched that bug show on fax last night and they said that there are over 2000 black widow spider bites reported each year, very few are ever fatal. Aren't we all wrongly tought very early on that black widows are certain death?

Frankly I don't believe these statistics, and I don't believe most sailors and people at sea do either, I wonder how many people are killed by sharks that don't get counted; as a spearfisherman I Know those stats are rubbish and don't apply to spearos that regulary go in the water Z

What I know is alot of the world shark attacks accur of the coast of Florida, these attacks are on beach goers and surfers. I live in florida and dive 2-3 times a week, we consider it a good dive if we get to see a shark (other than a nurse shark) actually coming in contact with one does'nt happen often. Sharks are usually the last thing on my mind when I'm down.

And I think too, that the numbers on shark attacks on the beach would increase tremendously if those dumb fish would learn to swim about a foot lower on the approach.

Knew a guy that was training to be a beach lifeguard off the coast of NJ that was bitten by a shark and had to several stitches while on a water excercise.

zeN|| once bubbled...
as a spearfisherman I Know those stats are rubbish and don't apply to spearos that regulary go in the water Z

As a spearo, I'd think you'd be more at risk of seal attack when they go after your fish.

One of our favorite night dives is in The Hamptons, which is filled with bars and an alcohol soaked summer crowd. Our running joke on the way there (while cars are zooming all around us) is that we can't wait to get off the road, and in the water where it's safe :D

Dive as much as possible....Life is too short not to........It will most likely be something non dive related that's gonna eventually get you. Happy Diving..................Scott

these statistical comparison are all meaningless because they never take into account the number of people exposed to a particular risk. sure more people die of lightning strikes than shark attacks. so what? almost every region in the world and, therefore, almost every human is exposed to lightning. how many get even near sharky waters? also the coconut statistic sounds great at first (150 dead vs some 70 from shark attacks). that sounds like a shark attack would be unblievably remote because after all what is our chance of having a coconut fall on our head? however, when you live in koh tau that's a different story. coconuts are the second leading cause of death among younger people (moped accidents are in the top spot). therefore, for someone from koh tau reading these numbers a shark attack would not seem such a small risk (about half as likely as death by coconut).

in the end, however, with or without statistical mumbo jumbo the fact remains that shark attacks on divers are extremely rare (especially when you are not spearfishing) and nothing to be concerned of. there are much greater risks that divers face without ever worrying about them.

docmartin once bubbled...
however, when you live in koh tau that's a different story. coconuts are the second leading cause of death among younger people (moped accidents are in the top spot).

I know I shouldn't think this, much less say, but my God, that is funny!

I lived on Grand Cayman Island for 6 months, (contruction work at the time, unfortunatley b4 I was a diver), but I damn near got hit with a coconut, They would fall on the roof of my apt. in the middle of the too, scare the hell out of ya!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom