Shark bites liveaboard guest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is no different from the press. You have to filter through the hype and specualtion to get to the truth. From everything that I have gathered, especially the interview with Rob Stewart (sharkwater), the diver swam beside the bait can and stirred up the bottom. This reduced visibility and the shark grabbed onto his leg. It's an unfortunate accident. It also seems there might have been an issue with the ascent after his bite and when all things factored together led to his death. Unfotunately the witch hunt has begun, and I hope we all do not pay the price for it.

Happy diving and protecting my sharks!
Carolyn:sharks:

As far as I know, there is no definite description of what happened aside from:
1. He was underwater
2. there were baited sharks (dive op's standard operation)
3. he was bitten on the leg (according to medical examiner)
4. unresponsive when he was evacuated (according to coast guard)
5. official cause of death is blood loss (according to medical examiner)

Now, some guy has been telling the media that the diver was too close to the bait crate but this man wasn't on the trip from what I understand. JASA has no statement. Groh's relatives on the trip haven't made a statement.

Them's the facts as we know them. There is a man named Christopher Chin claiming to know "the facts" and giving uncorroborated stories to the press and publishing them online. I would avoid anything with his name on it as he seems to be the hippie counterweight to CDNN's rabid anti-feed propaganda.

sounds very reasonable explanation to me. The parties envolved like JASA and the family of the diver aren't giving statements because there is an investigation going on. They have been told not to give statements most likely.

He doesn't give a source for his claims and he is an outspoken advocate of these dives (and a JASA customer).

That article doesn't stand up to any kind of skepticism.

One problem with some medical examiners reports...if they do not have experience in dive medicine, there can be many things overlooked. Not saying it happened, but there have been dive accidents where the cause of death was questionable or incorrect. There were many factors that contributed to his death and I am sorry it happened and am sorry for the family. Needless to say, accidents happen and when we dive with sharks, that is the risk we take voluntarily, end of story. It's no different from someone who jumps out of a perfectly good airplane when you look at the overall risk.

Happy diving with sharks!

That article doesn't stand up to any kind of skepticism

I don't follow your comment. It seems a moderate and well written plausible account to me. If you mean it's factually incorrect, then please correct it and give YOUR sources. I can't see anything in that article that doesn't make perfect sense.

That said, I'm still opposed to the practice of formal shark feeding, for the reasons that have been discussed "ad nauseum".

One problem with some medical examiners reports...if they do not have experience in dive medicine, there can be many things overlooked. Not saying it happened, but there have been dive accidents where the cause of death was questionable or incorrect. There were many factors that contributed to his death and I am sorry it happened and am sorry for the family. Needless to say, accidents happen and when we dive with sharks, that is the risk we take voluntarily, end of story. It's no different from someone who jumps out of a perfectly good airplane when you look at the overall risk.

Happy diving with sharks!
This was not a "diving accident" requiring a Medical Examiner with a diving medicine background. The victim bleed out, not a very hard finding to make, leaving little or no doubt at to the cause of death. Is that the shark's fault? I think not.

But could being bent cause an increase in blood loss? Could having an air expansion injury increase shock ? I am not a MD, I am just wondering if there was more to this than just a loss of blood. That is where I wonder if a MED EX with dive medicine experience would be able to look further into a death other than...gee the leg was bitten off end of story. I by no means blame the shark or the operator. Risk is risk and it was assumed by the client before entering the water. I guess right now we are all curious about everything attatched to this case. I think its a legitimate question.

ps..edited for faux pas...
"possibly increase the chance of shock from something more than the initial bloodloss?" All I am asking is, from depth, and having a severe injury, would surfacing too fast increase the chances of not surviving a bite such as what occurred to this diver?

But could being bent cause an increase in blood loss?
No.
Could having an air expansion injury increase shock ?
What, pray tell, is "increase shock?"
I am not a MD, I am just wondering if there was more to this than just a loss of blood.
No.
That is where I wonder if a MED EX with dive medicine experience would be able to look further into a death other than...gee the leg was bitten off end of story.
No.
I by no means blame the shark or the operator. Risk is risk and it was assumed by the client before entering the water. I guess right now we are all curious about everything attatched to this case. I think its a legitimate question.
No.
This one is pretty cut and dried. Death due to exsanguination is hard to miss or confuse.

Ok, I guess for you, Thass, I used incorrect phrasing or teminology. But whatever, thanks for your responses.

Hopefully the details will be released eventually. This has been an interesting discussion.

I've watched a lot of CSI. Those guys are really smart. If the shark had a filling on its third molar, they would know which dentist did the work. If the guy had AGE, pneumothorax or "faster blood loos because of the bends", they would know if it happened before or after the bite. It's all been on TV so it is proven.

:D

Really, MEs are pretty bright people. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom