Shark Fear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again

I think the best solutions are to get her some more dives and if possible help her learn more about marine life in general and sharks in particular.

As I said my main concern is what she will do if she encounters a shark. I expect the first time I meet one I'll probably be pretty concerned to say the least, but I know I'll be able to keep it together. I have seen her freeze when stressed and become a bit unresponsive, which can be difficult to deal with out of the water but I would be particularly concerned if it happened during a dive.

Having said all that it may be that the local orientation on the first dive may set her mind at rest about the whole issue of sharks.

A simple way to get acclimated to sharks is to look for nurse sharks. They look like catfish up front but a shark from all other perspectives, so its a good ease in. Good luck and enjoy scuba!

Back
Top Bottom