Shark Feeding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is illegal in Florida and for good reason I think. A guy just died about a year ago from a bite during a feeding in the Bahamas that was being run by an extremely experienced operator. If you talk to the people who engage in this work on a day to day basis, you will realize that it is not that safe and there are a number of accidents that probably don't get reported.

In addition it endangers sharks and spearfisherman when the sharks are habituated to this activity. Just because people make money off the activity, does not mean it is wise or justified.

I don't agree.

If there were a lot of accidents I feel pretty safe in saying that the media would be all over it. There are remarkable few accidents involving these feeds.

As for the diver who was bitten (and tragically died) in the Bahamas during a feed last year, according to witnesses, he broke the rules and got between the shark and the food. The shark was apparently clearly not trying to bite the diver. The shark was going after the food. The diver made an error.

Overall, I think shark feeds are safe and more importantly, positive because they raise awareness of how important sharks are to not merely the oceans, but the planet.

I have reported on shark feeds, and I have not only spoken with the people who feed sharks professionally, but I have spent a great deal of time with them. Everyone has a deep respect and abiding affection for these majestic animals. Safety is the paramount concern on the feeds.

As for spear fishing, I know professional spear fishers who say when they fish, the sharks come around --this happens in areas where there are no shark feeding operations so I don't see that as much of an issue.

Reasonable minds can disagree.

Jeff

I don't agree.

If there were a lot of accidents I feel pretty safe in saying that the media would be all over it. There are remarkable few accidents involving these feeds.

According to various people who posted in threads related to that incident, there are minor incidents with these dives that go unreported because nobody is seriously hurt.

A park ranger tries to keep people and animals in a park safe, a shark wrangler endangers people for money. And hey, they'll even take you into international waters to get you away from that do-gooder legislation back in Florida. That sounds like the kind reputable people you want to dive with, right?

How is this related to accidents and incidents...maybe I missed it...

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

It's not - moved to Shark Forum

Matt I also dive with sharks all the time. I have also been part of a tagging program. I agree that they are great animals and our over fishing of them is wrong and finning is despicable. But feeding is not a good idea.

Stop using operators that feed and they will stop the practice. They only do it because they make money at it. Not only do I not go on shark feeding dives, I don't use operators who do them.

Walter is right on. I've got a trip to Belize coming up in a couple of weeks. While researching dive operators I have been really surprised by how many advertise physical interaction with the nurse sharks, rays, etc.. I am making a point of not using any of those operators and am considering writing the Belizean government to express my disdain with operators continuing this practice.
Personally, I dive to experience the NATURAL behavior of organisms in THEIR environment. At the risk of sounding PETA-like, it seems disrespectful to manipulate other forms of life for our own amusement.

Personally, I dive to experience the NATURAL behavior of organisms in THEIR environment. At the risk of sounding PETA-like, it seems disrespectful to manipulate other forms of life for our own amusement.

There is nothing natural about how the oceans are now. We have wiped out 90 percent of the sharks. If there were as many sharks in the water as there were just 100 years ago we wouldnt need to do shark feeds. You would see them most every dive anyway. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have an experience with an animal we have nearly wiped out completely. In another 50 years we may not even be able to bring any in with a feed. Let people continue doing whatever they need to raise awareness. We know what the risks are and Ive never heard anyone blame the shark if they are bitten durring a feed.

I know what you are saying but what is "natural" about a person diving? Nothing. So when you go on a dive and come across an octopus during the day or say maybe a free swimming moray, what happens? Usually, both will seek shelter and try and hide from you. So by you being there, you have affected/manipulated their behavior. They now have to hide from something that is not natural to their environment. I really don't know how any of us can experience something natural on the animals part by us being there.

Matt83:
There is nothing natural about how the oceans are now. We have wiped out 90 percent of the sharks. If there were as many sharks in the water as there were just 100 years ago we wouldnt need to do shark feeds.

I keep hearing about declining shark populations, and I have no reason to doubt that, but I do know from 1983 through the begining of 2000 when I hit my 1000th dive I saw 23 sharks of which 22 were Nurse Sharks (the other was a Blacktip). In the next 1000 dives, I saw 115 sharks of which 72 were Nurse Sharks (others were Caribbean Reef <19> Silky <1> Bull <5> Sand Tiger <16> Lemon <2>). I've never gone on a shark feeding dive. With the exception of a trip to North Carolina (where I made 2 dives and saw 18 sharks - 2 Bulls and all 16 Sand Tigers), my diving has not changed much from the 1st 1000 dives. It looks to me that we're more likely to see sharks than we were 10, 20 or 25 years ago even without feeding them.

There is nothing natural about how the oceans are now. We have wiped out 90 percent of the sharks. If there were as many sharks in the water as there were just 100 years ago we wouldnt need to do shark feeds. You would see them most every dive anyway. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have an experience with an animal we have nearly wiped out completely. In another 50 years we may not even be able to bring any in with a feed. Let people continue doing whatever they need to raise awareness. We know what the risks are and Ive never heard anyone blame the shark if they are bitten durring a feed.

You don't need shark feeds to see sharks, just keep your eyes open. Pick your head up and look around, don't just watch the reef right in front of you. Look off into the distance and you'd be supprised what you see. There are still alot of sharks out there. IMO there are just too many divers who want the sharks handed to them, to get a guarentee that they will see a shark on any particular dive. Get out, go diving, you'll see sharks.

Back
Top Bottom