Shark feeding

Do you agree with shark feeding

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with DocMartin. And comparing a shark to an alligator or bear is ridiculous. Even comparing two separate shark species isn't correct. Caribbean Reefs - the ones that we feed on Grand Bahama are beautiful creatures. If you get between them and their food, they will bite. They are also highly intelligent. They know you aren't food.

Not sure who is 'teaching' the sharks to be aggressive for feeding purposes. Of the operations I know of that do feed - if the sharks start to become aggressive, the feeding stops.

I really think those of you that are against shark feeds actually need to do some research. Study just one species of shark, talk to those that do feed, learn about the sharks' behavior. Don't just assume that because it's a wild animal that it behaves the same as a lion or tiger or bear (oh, my).

And who ever stated shark feeding has been banned in areas of the Bahamas is incorrect. It's been banned in Florida for asinine reasons.

My boo boo about the shark feed ban in the Bahamas. Nothing has been banned in the Bahamas when it comes to the sharks. There are areas near Walker's that are SUPPOSEDLY protected reefs. However, the Bahamas has no way to police. So people fish all the time.

SpritelyMermaid:
Not sure who is 'teaching' the sharks to be aggressive for feeding purposes.

In a discussion of wildlife behavior, it might be helpful to acquaint yourself with the phrase 'operant conditioning.'

SpritelyMermaid:
I agree with DocMartin. And comparing a shark to an alligator or bear is ridiculous. Even comparing two separate shark species isn't correct. Caribbean Reefs - the ones that we feed on Grand Bahama are beautiful creatures. If you get between them and their food, they will bite. They are also highly intelligent. They know you aren't food.

Not sure who is 'teaching' the sharks to be aggressive for feeding purposes. Of the operations I know of that do feed - if the sharks start to become aggressive, the feeding stops.

I really think those of you that are against shark feeds actually need to do some research. Study just one species of shark, talk to those that do feed, learn about the sharks' behavior. Don't just assume that because it's a wild animal that it behaves the same as a lion or tiger or bear (oh, my).

And who ever stated shark feeding has been banned in areas of the Bahamas is incorrect. It's been banned in Florida for asinine reasons.

But the last people I would ask about shark feeding is the one's doing it after all there livelihood depends on it in part so there view is bound to be bias I would think.

cdiver2:
But the last people I would ask about shark feeding is the one's doing it after all there livelihood depends on it in part so there view is bound to be bias I would think.

So you'd rather not talk to the people that know the sharks' behavior? You'd rather not talk to the people that see the same sharks weekly if not daily?

Ignorance is bliss.

cyklon_300:
In a discussion of wildlife behavior, it might be helpful to acquaint yourself with the phrase 'operant conditioning.'

How about we stick to the facts - which is, NO OBSERVER during a feed has been attacked. That's fact.

SpritelyMermaid:
So you'd rather not talk to the people that know the sharks' behavior? You'd rather not talk to the people that see the same sharks weekly if not daily?

Ignorance is bliss.

Im not ignorant I have dived the Bahamas and seen what SOME of the dive ops do to get a $. The last time I dived there they wraped the anchor chain around a coral head. This same dive operation also does shark feeds. What makes you think these people are experts? They are just DMs working under high risk conditions for a very low wage. The operation owners are getting rich by offering sensationalism in diving with no thought given to the consequences. If you wish to know who this dive operater is let me know and I will also tell you some more no no's that they did.

SpritelyMermaid:
So you'd rather not talk to the people that know the sharks' behavior?

on the contrary. i just don't want to take as gospel the word of someone who has a vested interest in promoting shark feeding. they might be...what's the word... a little biased? forgive me if i am a little skeptical of your position.

SpritelyMermaid:
Ignorance is bliss.

hmmm... so if someone doesn't agree with you they are ignorant?

Arrogance may not be bliss, but it sure comes close.

SpritelyMermaid:
How about we stick to the facts - which is, NO OBSERVER during a feed has been attacked. That's fact.

That's interesting. I know some feeders have been bitten, but always assumed observers might have been too. Might I inquire as to the source of your information? Shark feedings I believe count as "provoked attacks" on the shark attack website, so they're not included with the normal statistics. I'd be quite keen on getting the stats for shark feeding injuries.

Oh yeah, forgot to put in my opinion for the poll. I believe shark feeding is bad, BUT I really LOVED participating in them. I'd argue that lots of people are against feeding, but these same people would almost certainly attend one if they hadn't previously.

I'm also an "evil ecologist", so that makes me biased towards the wildlife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom