Shark Finning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kiltboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Please spread the word by using this anti finning avatar!!!!!!

the really ironic part about shark finning is that the shark fins actually have no flavor of their own. so when the sharks fins are turned into shark fin soup, the flavor comes from the rest of the ingredients in the soup. by switching to artificial shark fin, which i believe is made from bean thread noodles--but don't quote me on that--restaurants can still serve a product that has the same flavor and texture as soup made from real shark fin.

Some people will only learn when there's none left.

The problem with shark fin soup is that it's all about the prestige. It's a symbol that you're wealthy enough to serve it to your guests. So substitutes such as bean noodles would be seen as an insult to your guests. It also means that as the shark population declines it will become more difficult to serve shark fin soup, and therefore all the more prestigious to do so.

So I see 3 possible ways out of this mess:
- Have someone with a very high social standing (among the cultures who value shark fin soup) decry it, and say that only selfish dishonorable people serve it to their guests.
- Nuke the countries whose citizens find it prestigious to serve shark fin soup, killing everyone who might serve it.
- Wait until all the sharks are killed off and become extinct.

Personally, I'm hoping the first option happens before either of the others.

We should also ban the sale of shark fim products in the USA. If you go into Chinatown in Manhahtten, NY you can see jars and jars of shark fins and seahorses for sale. They kicked my buddy out when they spotted his camera filming them (the jars) for his shark documentary.

As much as I detest shark finning for its waste.... I think folks who drives big SUV for status symbols, and even just the average american who consumes 3 times as much petroleum product than the rest of the civilized world is causing more harm to the environment and killing off more species per month than shark finnings.

Think about that the next time you take your 20 minute shower, goes cruising in your hemi, or complaining about the price of gas. In my opinion, gas in the US should be at least $10 a gallon to wean us off our addiction.

It took nature millions of years to get the CO2 level down to what it is today, and it will take us less than 300 years to get it back up to prehistoric level.

I guess what would bug me more if one had a save a shark sticker on the bumper of their Hummer.

Last edited:
As much as I detest shark finning for its waste.... I think folks who drives big SUV for status symbols, and even just the average american who consumes 3 times as much petroleum product than the rest of the civilized world is causing more harm to the environment and killing off more species per month than shark finnings.

Think about that the next time you take your 20 minute shower, goes cruising in your hemi, or complaining about the price of gas. In my opinion, gas in the US should be at least $10 a gallon to wean us off our addiction.

It took nature millions of years to get the CO2 level down to what it is today, and it will take us less than 300 years to get it back up to prehistoric level.

I guess what would bug me more if one had a save a shark sticker on the bumper of their Hummer.

Though I find shark finning disgusting and destructive, I agree with this statement. Humans are destroying this planet faster than ever before. The sharks are just one of the many victims here. As sad as it is to know that we (humans) are driving this magnificent creature into extinction, It's even worse to think of all the other species we've already killed off, and will never return. I'll be the first to admit, we Americans are no less to blame than any other culture or country. The American mentality of bigger is better has proved to be a detriment. This idea that we can just go and take whatever we want because we are the top of the food chain (so we think) has to stop. It's not just the sharks. How many of you guys diving local SoCal waters, i.e. Channel Islands, local beaches, etc... are seeing less and less marine life? It's terrible.

Something has to be done, for sure. I'd like sharks to be around for my kids and grandkids to be able to see and learn about. I'm afraid this may be a fantasy. :shakehead:

Time to dive.... maybe I'll be lucky enough to see some life out there today.

I will be honest I have to agree with the last two posters.

I get a little annoyed with this whole new attitude where we are determined to stop other countries and cultures living their own way of life because we find certain aspects distasteful and yet continue to live our own lives in the same selfish and greedy way.

We want Japan to stop killing whales and yet we are happy to raise deformed chickens sharing a tiny cage and crapping on each other just so we can have a cheap BBQ.

We want the chinese to stop finning sharks but drive the biggest most fuel thirsty cars, have the biggest refrigerators, throw out more food than we eat and continue to manufacturer our products in East Asian sweat shops by people who earn less in a year than many of us in a day.

I for one do not feel too comfortable casting that first stone.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Non-diving Related...

The problem with shark fin soup is that it's all about the prestige. It's a symbol that you're wealthy enough to serve it to your guests. So substitutes such as bean noodles would be seen as an insult to your guests. It also means that as the shark population declines it will become more difficult to serve shark fin soup, and therefore all the more prestigious to do so.

So I see 3 possible ways out of this mess:
- Have someone with a very high social standing (among the cultures who value shark fin soup) decry it, and say that only selfish dishonorable people serve it to their guests.
- Nuke the countries whose citizens find it prestigious to serve shark fin soup, killing everyone who might serve it.
- Wait until all the sharks are killed off and become extinct.

Personally, I'm hoping the first option happens before either of the others.

i think i can offer an alternative (though maybe unethical/illegal) solution: restaurants continue to serve shark fin soup and charge full-price for it--though they substitute imitation shark fin. that way, everyone is happy; the poseurs still feel like big shots; the guests still have their soup; and the restaurants still get to charge exorbitant amounts for their food. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom