No Yellow Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Search the forum, and you'll find the same question and conversation over and over.
Yeah yeah. This is the New Divers forum, and it may not occur to new divers that this is a common question.

[Edit: I THOUGHT this was the New Divers forum for some reason, but in fact we're in the Florida forum. Okay.]

That said, here is a sampling of threads on "yum-yum yellow" that may be of interest. Whether myth or science, the question lives on.

Mr Chen, I did a perfunctory search before posting and a more thorough one at your suggestion. The most recent thing that applies to my specific question was the two year old video that left the question about “yum yum yellow” pretty much hanging, and still didn’t address my question about DMs on boats requiring black or blue fins. Notice the references in Lorenzoid’s post are mostly a decade or so old.

I did read with interest about the instructor who specifically chose yellow fins so his students would be able to find him, and parenthetically I should mention that one of my DMs in Nassau chose white fins pretty much for the same reason. Here’s a picture of her clowning for the camera as she keeps watch over her charges.

I feel like my question has some legitimacy… and I still don’t have a definitive answer. I do know I like swimming in these fins much better than the stiff, open heel “boards” they replaced!

🐸

Attachments

• MICR0111.jpeg
    MICR0111.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 67

I feel like my question has some legitimacy… and I still don’t have a definitive answer.
You are not going to get a definitive answer. You are going to get opinions, conjectures, and unsubstantiated assertions. Sorry.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
FL forum right? Shark interest probably has more to do with what’s on the end of your spear than the color of your fins…

I recently bought a pair of Mares full foot fins in bright yellow with black trim, planning to use them primarily for boat dives. Exploring the website of a FL dive operation I read their warning against wearing yellow fins on dives where sharks would be encountered. They even said they would rent blue or black fins to eliminate the “danger”. Am I the only one who has never thought (or even heard) of this phenomenon? On some of my recent dives in Nassau, we were surrounded by Reef Sharks but I didn’t get attacked, nor did they even show any undue interest in my bright yellow fins.
Was I just lucky? Were the sharks color blind in the Bahamas? Is the FL dive operation just trying to rent more fins to yankee tourists? What gives here?
🐸
Uh oh.

Here's my fin lineup. I don't stand a chance.
img_20210121_170226_1-jpg.638157

Uh oh.

Here's my fin lineup. I don't stand a chance.
img_20210121_170226_1-jpg.638157
I had the bottom fins (Mares) on a bullshark dive off PDC. No big deal.

Something about the small, bright contrast (compared to the background) that sharks pick up on.

On a snorkel trip that involved sharks they told us to keep our hands on the trailing rope, the idea being that would keep our ‘bright’ palms closed.

On a snorkel trip that involved sharks they told us to keep our hands on the trailing rope, the idea being that would keep our ‘bright’ palms closed.
It's a lot more likely that the op wanted to keep everyone on the line because it's less work for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom