Shark fishing petition makes progress.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruciebabe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
sharks.jpg

Stop Shark Slaughter. Petition is over 1,000 signatures now.

So I have issued a press release to try and make more progress: Petition to President of China Reaches 1,000 Signatures

To: Hu Jintao president of the People's Republic of China.

Currently the Chinese people are eating a soup which is causing the biggest ecological disaster of our time. Supplying the demand for Shark's Fin soup involves the death of what best estimates say are between 50 and 150 million sharks a year. This is unsustainable and will inevitably lead to all sharks becoming extinct, many species are already over 90% eradicated.
The shark is the apex predator that keeps the whole ecology of the sea in balance and healthy. Nobody knows what the effects of their removal will be but is can be guaranteed to involve a lot of unwanted harmful outcomes.
This petition seeks the Chinese government to ban the catching, import and sale of sharks and all shark related products.

Sincerely,

What a laffer. I'm sure that the ""President"" of China, a most compasionate man I'm sure (NOT) will give a damn about what a bunch of American shark freaks have to say about feeding his billion plus subjects (slaves). Funny to say the least.

I signed. Thanks for posting.

What a laffer. I'm sure that the ""President"" of China, a most compasionate man I'm sure (NOT) will give a damn about what a bunch of American shark freaks have to say about feeding his billion plus subjects (slaves). Funny to say the least.

Oh ye of little faith.
Sit back and watch the world go to hell in a handcart.
Why bother lifting a finger even trying?

FYI The Chinese, with the Olympics coming up, are very sensitive to worldwide press coverage.
If we got 100,000 signatures, printed it out and delivered it to the front door of every Chinese embassy in the world with the TV crews filming us then we would get a result.

The only thing stopping us from saving millions of sharks is the apathy of people who won't spend just a few moments doing their bit.

I signed it, thank you for posting this here. I have to admit that sadly I don't think it will do a whole lot of good. But you never know, it certainly is worth a shot!

Thanks for the link. I signed. Every little bit can help. And if we don't try, then it certainly won't get done.

In all seriousness...If this is actually going to Jintao, is someone going to translate it into Mandarin so he (or any Chinese person that reads it) can understand what it means?

If there could be someway to get broad scale media coverage of this devastating practice, it would be a big leap toward public awareness. This is a terrible dilema and so sad.

Garrobo:
I'm sure that the ""President"" of China, a most compasionate man I'm sure (NOT) will give a damn about what a bunch of American shark freaks have to say about feeding his billion plus subjects (slaves).

Shark fin soup is a delicacy not a means by which to feed the masses...

As a side note, Disney used to serve it in the US but stopped the practice, however Disney has a park in China which still allows the serving of shark fin soup. I may be mistaken and perhaps it's Japan...not sure...Point being...I was informed that Disney doesn't own the Asian operation...that it is a franchise...Well...This means that Disney is receiving franchise fees I would think. It would do well to inform Disney execs of the concern. Would it do any good...I think most people aren't aware of the problem and even if they were would not keep from going to Disney World...I think most people still consider the shark a dangerous man eating monster and could probably care less about them becoming extinct...No more worry about entering the water in fear of shark attacks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom