Shark fishing petition makes progress.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If there could be someway to get broad scale media coverage of this devastating practice, it would be a big leap toward public awareness. This is a terrible dilema and so sad.

Getting coverage and awareness is a bit like rolling a snowball down a hill.
This means that for the petition the second 10,000 signatures will be a lot easier to get than the first 100.
We are at the point now where we could get some momentum going. So anything that anyone does to increase awareness will help a lot.
Mention it on your blog, tell friends, mention it to any journalists that you know. Anything like this can, as the snowball effect works, make a huge difference.

Broad scale media coverage will come, sharks are being exterminated and sooner or later the media will notice. The problem is that by then it might be too late.

I signed the petition.

This is pathetic. What has the world come to? I can't believe there are petitions against activities that are already wrong! Oh, wait, I forgot, there are greedy people who could care less!:shakehead:

No shark soup for you!!!!:rofl3:

If there could be someway to get broad scale media coverage of this devastating practice, it would be a big leap toward public awareness. This is a terrible dilema and so sad.

Shark fin soup is a delicacy not a means by which to feed the masses...

As a side note, Disney used to serve it in the US but stopped the practice, however Disney has a park in China which still allows the serving of shark fin soup. I may be mistaken and perhaps it's Japan...not sure...Point being...I was informed that Disney doesn't own the Asian operation...that it is a franchise...Well...This means that Disney is receiving franchise fees I would think. It would do well to inform Disney execs of the concern. Would it do any good...I think most people aren't aware of the problem and even if they were would not keep from going to Disney World...I think most people still consider the shark a dangerous man eating monster and could probably care less about them becoming extinct...No more worry about entering the water in fear of shark attacks.

Its actually the Hong Kong disney land that served shark fin. BUT, they have stopped doing so after intense debate and petitions from the public. This shows that petition can be of some help.

With regards to this petition addressed to Hu Jin Tao, Im not too sure if its targetted at the right person. He may be the person with the most power amongst the Chinese community, but really I don't know what he can do to stop Chinese eating sharkfins. At the end of the day its still the masses that matters. I don't think sharkfinning can be stopped by any individual. Nevertheless I still signed the petition. Such petitioning drives hopefully can raise some awareness amongst the masses in Chinese communities. I'm ethnically Chinese too and it was such anti shark-finning campaigns that caught my attention and made me stop eating sharkfin.

It was a pleasure to sign this petition. I will be contacting my representative in Washington about this horrific practice.

Back
Top Bottom