Shark Shield does it work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you afraid of sharks.... I've never come across any aggressive sharks. In fact, they are quite cool! I love to see them. You know... every fish in the ocean has teeth. A shark is just a big fish with teeth.

Truly... if you've never experienced any sharks on your dives... you're missin' out! There's no feeling like it... true awe!

If you're worried about it... might I suggest diving at Epcot. They have the Dive Quest program. You dive in their Living Seas tank, and there are 9 sharks in the tank. Granted, they are still "wild" but are used to divers and are very docile. I'd highly recommend it, and it might help if fear is your factor.

Jorbar1551:
i think it scared away the sea lions and all the other fish life also.
I own the Freedom 4 model and Im very satisfied with it. Despite being a little bit of a pain to carry, the peace of mind it gives me is worth the minor inconvenience. That said, I would not wear it in confined spaces or where the risk of entanglement was high. The research and technology is certainly sound and for divers in areas where there is a risk (however minute) of shark attack it is a worthwhile investment.

As far as scaring away other marine life, I can assure you that non-predatory marine life is completely oblivious to it - during the dive I did two days ago I had hundreds of Old Wives and Sweep schooling around me, plus a large dusky morwong - they didnt mind it a bit!

The way the shark shield works relates to the way some sharks (the ones Im concerned about - Great Whites and Bronzies) attack.
From http://www.sharkshield.com/faq.php:
"The Shark Shield produces a unique conductive field that surrounds the wearer. Sharks are sensitive to this field and when they approach too close, the field causes muscular spasms that result in the shark leaving the area. It is believed the field is detected by the shark through its sensory receptors, known as the Ampullae of Lorenzini, found on the snouts of all predator sharks. One of the distinct advantages of this unique electronic wave-form is that it only repels predator sharks. It does not repel any other form of marine life."

Happy diving,
Caitlin

I was on a dive boat with a guy that had one. Not having any clue to what it was, I asked. Then I asked if it really worked. He said sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. He said it didn't work very well that dive. Maybe his is the best answer.

erparamedic:
Are you afraid of sharks.... I've never come across any aggressive sharks. In fact, they are quite cool! I love to see them. You know... every fish in the ocean has teeth. A shark is just a big fish with teeth.

Truly... if you've never experienced any sharks on your dives... you're missin' out! There's no feeling like it... true awe!

If you're worried about it... might I suggest diving at Epcot. They have the Dive Quest program. You dive in their Living Seas tank, and there are 9 sharks in the tank. Granted, they are still "wild" but are used to divers and are very docile. I'd highly recommend it, and it might help if fear is your factor.

The sarcasm is funny ha :rofl3: ha. If you have no fear of the sharks come with me and carry my bloody fish bag for me. You can pet the Bull Sharks as there bumping you in your ribs also the smell of you sh**ing you wet suit will not keep them away. I am in S. Florida diving off the beach so there are no boats either, and I didn't know they had sharks in Indiana, those must be big lake sharks:confused: .

noteye:
The sarcasm is funny ha :rofl3: ha. If you have no fear of the sharks come with me and carry my bloody fish bag for me. You can pet the Bull Sharks as there bumping you in your ribs also the smell of you sh**ing you wet suit will not keep them away. I am in S. Florida diving off the beach so there are no boats either, and I didn't know they had sharks in Indiana, those must be big lake sharks:confused: .

I didn't mean any sarcasm. I was simply asking if you have a fear of sharks? If you were just afraid to see them, etc?

Hahaha! There's no sharks in Indiana, but there can be some killer sized catfish and carp! The bass and bluegill can get pretty pissed off if you get too close to their nest... an angry bass caused a guy a few stitches in his forehead last spring!

Even though, I live in Indiana... I am allowed to travel aren't I? LOL I just got home from WPB less than 2 weeks ago, and I'm going to Panama City in 3 months.

No, I'm not afraid of sharks... but you never mentioned that you're spearfishing or whatever! I have no interest in carrying your bait!

OK... under normal recreational diving circumstances, I am not afraid of sharks, and welcome their visits. Is that a better definition for you? :wink:

I've heard they're the most effective thing you can use, short of a cage. But considering the expense and hassle, I'd make sure you really really need it before bothering with one.

I WISH I saw more sharks when diving... not sure how I feel about spending many $100s to drive them away!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom